Simplify3D fff profile

I’ll second this comment…I will consider using ‘outside-in’ only when the model doesn’t have overhangs.

I didn’t save properly and glad you point them out, thanks. The change on 1.3 should be that is based on my latest test model.
Retraction speed = 5000; oozing control.
Perimeter = Outside In; Less stringing and less oozing on retraction.
Temperature = 200C; more glossy look on Hatchbox filament
Perimeter Outlines = 2; it helps on small object with thicker wall.

Perhaps I missed it, but:

I have the issue where my filament out detection has to be tuned off or I can’t print. The printer ALWAYS says I am out of filament. Once I load a g-code from Simplify 3D, I can’t print because it overrides the turn off command and now always assumes no filament detected. Is there are work around in Simplify that I am missing?

I had a filament run-out error even though I turn off the parameter.

I found out a tip of the detected filament switch was worn out

and a filament pushed the tip on the side

I taped 2 layers plastic tape on one side, so it could push a filament to one side and a tip would lay on top of it

That how I fixed the error. I submit a ticket for replacement of the switch board.

1 Like

Okay… Just did this… lets see how it works:

And… no… no joy. Still no filament detected.

How is the switch condition? Is a tip of the switch also worn out on one side? How is the tip position on a filament? It should be on top of a filament. If you don’t have the conditions above, the it might defective switch.

It is worn on the opposite side from yours. I am going to submit an order today.

Does the layers of enough to push a filament over a worn out side? The switch should be replaced with an optocoupler sensor instead.

in my opinion, optocoupler would require precise alignment of the filament and may be more problematic depending on feed angle. I think the mechanical lever is good but maybe it should be made wider to prevent the filament from squeezing by its side.

A tip of a switch on my printer is worn out after 3 months of printing and another 3 months down the road that needs to be replaced.

I checked mine a few weeks ago and so far it looks ok but I only printed about 2.5kg of material. If worn, I wonder glueing some plastic to the tip or adding some layers of tape of some sort would work, at least temporarily.

On a side note, I did search EBAY but did not find any momentary-on switches of the kind used in Flux. @proclaim, although I don’t need it yet, can you tell me where to find just the micro switch (model number etc), some of us know how to solder SMTs.

1 Like

can anyone chime in on this:

I used s3d to generate a gcode, clicked on the device in flux studio and clicked to upload it onto sd. nothing happened. i closed flux, restarted, and could never connect to the printer again. i installed 0.3.12 x64, it kept giving me an error, then x84, totally didn’t detect the printer. same thing with 0.3.13…

just when i thought i’d finally gotten my flux was stable…

FS 0.3.12 is working for me when I import gcode file to SD folder and start printing. I can import gcode file and cannot printing on the FS 0.3.13.

I’m trying to print gcode off USB, and when I select the file to print, the Start button is staying greyed out, and it’s never starting the print. Is there a trick to this? Thanks

In this case, I usually restart Flux studio and try it again.

Here’s another Filenium Malcom printed thanks to S3D and Goldensnake’s 1.3 fff profile. I changed the settings though to “inside-out” and extrusion width to 0.5mm. The Falcon is not the reason I bought the software but I am pleased with the results on this print. Goldensnake should get commission from S3D.

The Filenium Malcon printed at .1 layer height (19hrs). I am very pleased with the detail, and relieved as I didn’t check the generated model closely enough after I set the support density to 10%. After printing about 1inch in height I saw that one support under the radar dish was just a single ribbon, 1 line wide, 3mm long, and I was sure this would fail and cause drooping deposits or worse, but it didn’t. Not sure if this good fortune was down to S3D or to the printer though.

2 Likes

Printing performance is on the Flux printer. Optimizing slicing is on S3D. In my opinion, there is 50/50 tasks between them.

Any advice on turning off Filament Out Detection in S3D?

Hey Michael, I just tried Importing and starting gcode without filament. With the Detect filament runout = 0 in Advanced settings I got the Out of filament message. But with Filament detection = off in Preferances, it worked. Try that!

1 Like

DANG! I forgot all about that being in general settings now. Thanks man!