Printing of very tiny and fine objects

Hey there,
I wonder how tiny and fine can be the printed object in FLUX.Also and scanned.
Let’s say,that i want to print parts for a clock, watch or similar objects.Not only to be printed,but must be perfectly accurate and without comments.A speck of not pitch or plastic “dust” and the whole work goes hell.Can you give us a video how FLUX print and scan the tiniest and fine object in its capabilities. :innocent:

i guess it depends. What size are we talking about?
I guess if you realy need detailed parts there are a few options:

1. You use the printer to print a mold and manual finish/correction.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31581

2. Use the laser module to cut out small parts (but not sure how accurate the laser module will be)

2 Likes

For the first one maybe and it’s may be a good variant.
For the second one,I think that the laser is not good option to cut so tiny parts like this:

who knows,will see :v:

I just want know how tiny and fine can be the FLUX’s printed object,because till now i saw just videos for “big” printed and scaned elements.
But it will be good for all of us to see a video how small the maximum can be the FLUX’s object.
To be prepared to know what can i print in the future with FLUX.

Peace.

When I hear if you want real fine detailed objects, resin 3d printers are the way to go. Fillment printers and resin printers are completely different. One uses a hot end similar to a glue gun and the other uses liquid whick turns solid once a lazer hits it.

I’m a newbie to 3d printers and this will be my first one. So don’t take my word for it. Just from what I’ve researched.

4 Likes

Yes that is my understanding as well, the resin printers uses an accurate laser to solidify the chosen dimensions and they can be very thin. I’m doubtful whether the flux will satisfy your needs on the clock parts s.

I had asked if they would do a sample print of a Thingiverse bust and shrink it down to where it would fit a 4" action figure. I gave them the size and they had said a print would be done. I haven’t seen it, so I can’t say for sure what the detail will be. It was said to give 50 micron on the z layer. This is a good resolution, but not so smooth that you won’t visually see the lines still. Until they give us a detail update with more prints, we won’t really know for now.

2 Likes

The positional accuracy of a 3D printer can be very very fine depending on what stepper motors are used and how many microsteps the control board is capable of. The size of what you can print is dictated more by the extruder gearing and nozzle diameter.

Nozzle diameter + 10% is a pretty good rule of thumb for the minimum width of an extrusion. Smaller than that isn’t as accurate and reliable. Layer height, I’m starting to believe, is limited by your extruder. If you have gear reduction, great. Your extrusion rate will be able to slow down enough to print very fine layers (below .1mm) but without gear reduction you don’t have the stepper resolution left to slow things down that far and .1mm layers are your ballpark practical limit.

1 Like

I’ve ventured into 3D printing molds before. http://repables.com/r/431/
It works pretty well.

2 Likes

The only way you can get all the fine, minute details printed is by switching to a smaller extruder and nozzle, maybe around .30mm. Or if not, you can have your model 3d scanned and reverse-engineer the model again to be able to print those minute details.

You can get really amazing prints out of a resin printer. If a small nozzle diameter and layer height don’t get you what you’re looking for, you should look into a DLP based resin printer. I’ve been playing with a LittleRP that I built, and I’ve been getting amazingly detailed prints. I’m into it for about $600 because I sourced all of the parts myself.

Here’s a TRex:

And his younger brother on a dime!

Millennium Falcon

And some buildings.

1 Like

Nice prints man:) love the pillars next to the dome, how long did this take? Would be nice if Flux made an RP head and if we could in some way use the same technique as that printer shown on TED.(https://www.ted.com/talks/joe_desimone_what_if_3d_printing_was_25x_faster)

A print like that takes a little over an hour. I’m currently set up to do a 50 micron layer every 8 seconds.

Those are really nice prints. I was in for an ibox through kickstarter but that company has since refused to answer emails or post on kickstarter. Everyone is having to dispute the charges witht heir credit cards to get the money back. That’s working, but still it’s a pain to have to go through.

But, point being, it was a small resin printer. The LittleRP looks like it blows that one away. One of my main things I want to make is parts for action figures. This looks as if it would do it well. I’m looking to make for 4" and 6" figures. I may have to look into this one eventually.

They are really nice prints. The resin printers use an accurate laser for printing different kinds of objects whether tiny or large. The larger the resolution the better is the quality of your image and vice versa. You can go through Airways printing to get more detailed information and I hope it helps you.
Thanks.