Making Countersunk Holes

Ever wanted to include countersunk holes in your laser cut items? Well it’s possible, and quite easy! See photos below:

Unfortunately this website does not allow me to upload the BeamStudio file!! However, I am very happy to email to anyone that asks.

Regards

Ian from New Zealand

2 Likes

How? What settings? Would love to see a video.

I just draw a series of concentric circles 0.05 mm apart. Then set each with a different power/speed setting such that the inner circle cuts right through, but the others cut to successively shallower depths until the outer one is just cutting through the backing paper. It took me a while to get the correct settings!

If you send me your email address I will send you a copy of the Beam Studio file for use with 3mm acrylic sheet and size 6 woodscrews.

Regards

Ian from New Zealand

1 Like

Ian could I get a copy of this plan. Thanks, [email protected]

You indicate you are laser cutting, maybe engraving, acrylic sheets (plexiglass?). I had a terrible problem with the adhesive in the paper covering being very flammable ando having my laser drag along a substantial flame while cutting through the acrylic. I’ve gone to cutting acrylic without the protective paper but then that exposes thE plexiglass to scratching. Have you found a solution for this?
Cheers, Jim

Hi guys

(first of all, I know this is quite an old post, but I wanted to give my 2 cents here for people who land here for the same issue)

Like you guys, in the past, I’ve also been thinking quite too much “into” the box, rather as thinking “outside” of it.

So, now, thinking outside of the box, let me say this: just use a normal sinkhole drill, the one you can buy at your local DIY shop, the one you use just to drill sinkholes in your wood. It will work perfectly on wood, plexiglass, and acrylic material.

And now I’m thinking that perhaps you guys were thinking out of the box, and I was just plain and simply thinking inside of the box all along. Oh well, let me just grab another beer and forget all about this :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to let me know how you think about this.

regards,

p