Extruder Drive Gear Shootout

I designed a testing rig for extruder drive gears. It turns out that there’s a pretty wide range in how hard they can grip filament. If you’re going to build your own extruder at some point, you might want to evaluate which gear you’re using first. Here’s my take on it:

Filament Oiler/Filter

I found this quite interesting. At times I find myself wondering what it would take to modify the various extruders in my machines. I’m glad you did this. Gets me to put some serious thought in making my own extruder.

This was my first go at designing an extruder. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1142707

Happy to report that it works well, even with NinjaFlex. Unfortunately, it reuses all of the parts from the stock EZStruder, so it’s an upgrade instead of a starting place for everybody else.

My next design will fit standard and gear reduction NEMA 17 motors, probably use the RobotDigg gear from the test, and I’m thinking of emulating the drive style from the LulzBot FlexyStruder design. I’ll let you know how it goes!

I really am looking for a printer that works well with NinjaFlex. It’s kinda vital.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.