Bubbles and missalignment on the first layers mess up the print

Hi guys

So I got my Flux two days ago, and it was all going great until i tried to print a 10 cm cookie cutter that went wrong from the first layers:

You can see that there are several things that doesn’t look okay. I stopped, loaded the default setup just in case and reprinted it:

The first thing I noticed was that this print was not aligned with the previous one, and after a few layers it was already a mess.

This morning I tried again after restarting my PC and reinstalling flux studio. Apparently the extrusion went well, but this happened:

That seems like a different problem, but I think its maybe the cause of the previous failed attempts. And if you look closely, some lines wasn’t even printed. I tried another model and it shows clearly that some part of the layer was being printed thinner than the rest:

Now i can’t leave a print just there and go to work, because it can fail and maybe even damage the extruder module as i’ve seen in this forum.

Please help!

First off, you are supposed to print on the UNPRINTED SIDE (without the lines) of the metal plate, although it appears to be too late to fully save it, sorry.
Second, it looks like your calibration is having issues. Make sure the nozzle is clean before the printer begins calibrating. If there is a little plastic booger on the end when it goes to probe the bed, it can throw off the bed leveling and give you a bad first layer.
Third, and this may not help you but it works for me, is to lower the temp a bit in the settings. I was getting this more often when I was using the default 215, but most of my prints now are down around 200 and it seems to have helped a lot with the first layers coming out nicer.
Lastly, the thin part of your layer makes me think that there is extra friction in the bowden tube when the printhead swings that certain direction. Is the tube or the USB cable really tight when the printhead moves that way? Maybe try rearranging the tube/cable or turning the printhead to the next set of rods. The USB port is facing the side with the Flux button on my printer and hasn’t caused any problems.
Also, are you getting any of the clicking/clunking from the feed mechanism in the top of the printer? If so, maybe you could check out the discussion about the filament filter/oiler here: Filament Oiler/Filter

If none of that helps, I’m not sure. But that’s about my best set of guesses based on the available information. Good luck!

2 Likes

In addition to what @AmnNate said, i would add that one thing that helped me with this issue was to use calipers to check the exact size of the filament in multiple places on the spool (in my case it was 1.71mm) I then set this value in the slicer settings. This helped but did not completely eliminate it so i continued this line of thinking and VERY SLOWLY raised my extrusion multiplier (IE: .01 increments) until I got it to a place I was happy with. Short of all of this you can look into things like print adhesion and your z-offest (again VERY SMALL increments IE: -.02). This bubbling is generally caused by gaps between where your filament and bed while printing.

Thats what worked for me to resolve this issue at least. Mind you in addition to all of this i am also using PEI on my bed to help from the adhesion standpoint. Let me know if this works or if you have any further questions and i’d be happy to try to help further.

2 Likes

Good call @Xycer! I forgot to mention that, but I try to check my filament’s width consistency anytime I think of it. Probably not as often as I should, but every once in a while at least. I’ve not actually had to change the filament size in the settings as all of my filament has been within .02 of spec so far.

On a side note, how’s that PEI working out? I have a sheet as well and could not get it to work for the life of me. The very first print came out relly nice, then nothing would stick for more than a couple layers ever since. I tried scuffing the surface up with some rough-ish grit sandpaper going crosswise to help. That didn’t work either. I didn’t want to put glue on it, cause then what’s the point? So, I took it back off. MAN, it took me FOREVER to get all that sticky 3m tape residue off the plate, lol. Unless you can direct me on how to make this work for good, I won’t be trying this again on the Flux.

@AmnNate Ok so on the topic of the PEI, through lots of playing with it and messing around i was able to get it working great (without glue and without sanding in-between prints) here’s what I did:

1: roughed up the surface in only an up and down direction with very coarse grit (comparatively) sand paper (320 grit) and then after that i went over the whole thing again very thoroughly with 1500 grit. This gave me a very nice printing surface that was not too slick to cause prints to come off and not to coarse to cause air gaps.

2: I try my very best not to touch the bed and put oil from my hands on it. i remove prints with my hands but the skirt for example i will remove with a (non bladed) thin flexible putty knife.

3: Between every print i use a paper towel to wipe down my surface with Everclear (High grain alcohol 190 proof) I like Everclear over rubbing alcohol because it’s generally purer (95%) than what I can find in a rubbing alcohol, does not leave a residue, cheap (~$16-$20 per 750ml bottle), drys quickly, and if your having bad luck you can drink a little and it makes you feel better :slight_smile: .

All of this in addition to the config changes I suggested in my last post concerning extrusion multiplier and filament diameter. Doing this i was able to print all of the Transmission i posted in the Trophy Room thread without any glue or additional sanding and all of the things I have printed since doing this have only needed one attempt to print so my trash can of failure has stopped growing haha.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. If I get REALLY bored one day, I might just try again. Good call on the Everclear though!

Thanks for your help guys. I lowered the temp to 200° and checked the filament, it turned out that the screw part of the tube wasn’t tight enough. That seems to have fixed it (:

2 Likes