Broken feeding mechanism?

1 Like

Thanks Michael for your comprehensive answer, very good info.
You where right, the feeding mechanism was not broken (did a run test with the “hose” detached and there were no problem). Now I am trying with a higher temp 129° (at 130° my software goes bad) and so far the prints is much better, the last one is perfect, still a little “clunk” (not at all as much as it was yesterday) occationally, maybe some finetuning can get it right. So my problem might be solved!
Michael, I hope the new printerhead solves your problem!

1 Like

Sometimes the filament get stuck on Inner wall of the feeding tube; what I do is unplug the tube and let the filament advance for few inches and insert the tube with the filament back in snap on connection.

Based on this and what I’ve seen my printer do, I suspect the top feed is going too fast for the hot end to keep up. Mine does this a bit when dispensing large volumes in a few seconds.

1 Like

I think my feeding mechanism is also not working.
Since getting the printer I done about 5 smaller prints, including the Tutorial print.
But now the feeder is no longer working, it started while I was making the 6th print, it had come about halfway (30 minutes) and it started making the clunking noise, so I went and had a look and it was “printing” in the air, with no filament feeding. So I stopped the print, and tried to unload and load the filament. But It no longer feeds the filament. I can hear the motor go, but it does not feed. I can with a bit of wiggling get it to feed, but it goes in to “high speed” and it is not actually detecting that the filament is there.
I recorded a video to show the issue.

After reading here I tried to remove the tube on the back, and just feed into the air but it does no difference.

I sent a message to Flux through Kickstarter a few days ago, but so far did not hear anything back.

Following the link that help Filament Oiler/Filter

I have found the problem. No filament oilier will solve it. It’s a major design flaw. The filament motor relies on the force of an arm and lever mechanism to hold the filament in place. Due to the excessive force required to hold the filament in place this arm and lever mechanism shifts to one side causing a wheel to engage in the filament screw causing it to clunk with each tooth of the filament drive gear. The oilier just makes this arm and lever mechanism to spin on top of the gear without noise and does not address the direct issue. I have just removed the complete top cover and added an extra spring to keep the arm in place and FINITO, problem solved!

I just hope a developer sees this and addresses the issue and design flaw.

2 Likes

They are working on this issue, and will be sending me a solution soon. I will report back when I receive, and try it out.

I just told you ever issue, remove the top plastic cover, that’s it. Also verify that the filament gear has not been destroyed because of what I previously mentioned

1 Like

Could you post some pictures of what you did? It might be useful for the developers.

1 Like

That doesn’t seem like a permanent fix, certainly not for future owners. I wouldn’t want to leave my printer like that, especially since it would leave the filament sensor disabled.

I did not leave the fillament sensor disabled

In First image you can see how the gear has already loss some teeth

4 Likes

I appologize if I sound argumentative. I don’t mean to be. But you said you left the top cover off? How is the filament sensor mounted now? And what protects the electronics and mechanicals in the top of the machine?

In my case, I have it inside of a tiny chest with door. The filament sensor just lies there. I did put a little tape and hot glue to hold it.

What I’m trying to say to the design and support team is that they can send as many electronic parts as they want but it won’t fix the issue. Only thing they can do is redesig the top plastic cover. It’s not letting the mechanism go as far as it needs to be.

@xaliax

In short, do u mean the arm with wheel mechanism shifted to the side beyond the top cover stopper, and that it interfere with the brass gear teeth, thus making the noise and eventually wearing down the gear teeth?

This is really good info! in my case it was the printerhead that was the big issue, I got a new one, now I only have feeding problems seldom. Now I have another problem instead, the printer pauses randomly :frowning: But the FLUX team are working on it, they probably will send me a new circuitboard to solve it.

Eeeeexactly, thanks for clarifying my broken-ish English.

And also there is no stopper to the opposite side of the motor, to the side of it the “stopper” is just the top cover per se and it doesn’t let the arm and wheel to reach the position in needs to be in.

OK, i’ve taken a closer look and figured out the problem.
I noticed that the diameter of the bowden connector and the feeding port are different, so the filament is actually blocked by the bowden connector’s edge and not fully slided in during filament loading, we do not realize as we cannot see.

When this happens the motor keeps running but the filament is stuck, hence the clinking sound, and eventually this will wear the gear teeth down.

So to be safe, next time when you’re loading the filament, hold the lever down and try sliding in the filament at least 5cm into the port, make sure the filament moves past the blockage position and that u can move it in and out smoothly before releasing the lever.

As for the lever mechanism, i do agree it’s a design flaw as there’s no stopper to keep its position and it’s always slanted to a side, but this shouldn’t affect much. I will try to make a 3D printed part as stopper.

2 Likes