Z Probing Temperature

If you’ve started a print but you cancel it for some reason, if you restart the print the hotend is higher than the set temp for the probing routine and you have to wait a minute or two for it to cool before probing again. And then you have to wait a second time for it to heat back up to printing temp.

Is there a reason that the probing process couldn’t happen at the printing temperature? Is it important that it makes you wait, or could the routine be programmed to run at >= 170 instead of ==170 ?

When the temp is over 180C, PLA will start leaking and affect the calibrating process.

That makes sense. I’ve noticed some less than perfect first layers when I failed to clean a plastic blob off the tip before starting a new print. It does indeed seem to alter the calibration just a tiny bit. Thanks.

Gotcha. Z probing and ooze don’t mix, you’re right.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are able to restart on the failed print or in other words, pick up where it failed with the print still in place? Am I misunderstanding? That would be an awesome feature. Just had a 19 hr print fail 10 hrs in due to head tilt. When I went to retry, it had lost the Z. Having a “probing” feature on a restart from an existing fail would we awesome.

I’m not sure if anyone’s done probing on a printed part or not, but it’s certainly a valid idea. I know that my buddies at SeeMeCNC have measured the printed part’s height to restart after a failure, but their layers are 1/4" high so it’s not quite the same :slight_smile:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13907167_1763351760609494_4121032060030466722_n.jpg?oh=aeeb790c86b983cf1923a3ebc2000993&oe=584FB151

So, once again, I find myself looking for a way to restart 6 hrs into a 10 hr print. Had a head tilt error where something likely dragged enough to pull it off z axis.
Is there a way to remove the first ?-number of layers and restart to attempt saving a print?
Got it still securely adhered in place, so willing to try anything right now.

Hi…i am a new user here. I think you are able to restart on the failed print or in other words, pick up where it failed with the print still in place? Am I misunderstanding? That would be an awesome feature. Just had a 19 hr print fail 10 hrs in due to head tilt. When I went to retry, it had lost the Z. Having a “probing” feature on a restart from an existing fail would we awesome