Something wrong with first layer!

Sorry I didn’t see your post till now. I haven’t been very engaged because my printer has been down for so long. They are sending my printer back now and FLUX support just wrote to tell me, “We replace the scanner heads, they were loose, therefore causing the calibration issues.”

I hope that does the trick. I’m hopeful, but I’m not sure if the scanner heads were the only issue. At this point, I’ll just have to see how the new adjustments and new firmware does. Thanks!

For those not faint of heart and with some patience and wanting to try a solution themselves:

This week I received replacement bushings/guides after telling support about the loose axis runners which had been getting worse and worse. I was getting ridges of plastic on the first layer but I was more concerned about circles not being round and also smaller than designed as well as small details not getting printed well.
Tonight I’ve fitted the new guides and it prints good as new again. They supplied sleeve bearing guides. The original ones have ball bearings in them. I did not get any instructions with the bag of guides so I took a couple of photos that might help others and here are some pointers>

1. It took me about 3 hours to replace the guides.
  2. The covers on each axis are held together by three screws with the middle screw covered by a sticky label.
  3. The belt tensioning spring is fiddly to remove and replace but needs to be removed to allow the top plate to be lifted up. I used two sets of pliers to open the spring for removing and refitting.
  4. I packed the insides of the new guides with the white PTFE silicone grease.
  5. Once the top plate can be lifted by undoing the top pillar screws and slackening the wire cables then the pillars have enough spring in them to pull them out far enough to remove and replace the axis guides.
  6. I left the top pillar screws loose until I had re-assembled the axis runners, refitted the arms and tool head and moved the runners up to the top to get the spacing of the pillars correct before tightening the top pillar screws.

Did it work? Is it better now? I think about contacting the Support about this problem which is still there on my machine

After I fitted the sleeve bearing guides there was no play and perfect prints with no ridges on the first layer unless it’s over extruding. They have got a little bit of play back in them now but it’s no where near as bad as it was with the ball bearing guides. Small details and circles are a pleasure to watch instead of a worry. Maybe new guides will be in the upgrade kit. Needs doing if you’ve got a visibly tilting tool head.

I’m interested in know if is possible to include this line bearings in the upgrade kit, or if is possible to buy them somewhere else.

It doesn’t seem like the LM bearings are included in the new kit. Probably because it would cost a bit more and require disassembling the machine more than the average user would be up for… That being said, I’d love to know if FLUX will sell the upgraded parts on their web store for folks like us that want them regardless.

Here’s the conversation that we’ve been having about this, so far:

If I’m following the notes correctly, as well as the photos, it looks exactly like LM8LUU (long version) linear bearings in those photos.

I was starting to wonder if the rods were hardened steel, otherwise, such bearings would eventually groove and lead to backlash/play.

But after reading @Matfink’s post several times, if I understand correctly, the linear bearings are what he took OUT of the FLUX, and replaced it with some sort of sleeve bushing??? I have no clue what spec is on that part.

If I’m tracking all this, then I am really confused as to what to do, or can be done to improve anything on the FLUX at this point.

I do know for a fact that the tool head does tilt on occasion, I’ve got it on video (which I did not notice until after I uploaded to YT) but it’s there, the tool head is definitely at an angle.

I had the same issue and then i got a new set of the bushings from the flux team with still the same play on the rods. Then i decided to buy linear bearings from a local hardware store and… Its perfect. The machine is a little bit louder than before, but its not very noticeable. But the holes are round now, the is no more tilting, i had no more issues with first layer etc.

Any idea what size bearings you bought?

Standard LM8LUU. Those are normed (normally)

Thanks, okay, that answers that question for sure then.

So you had the replacement bushings from FLUX but ended up going back to linear bearings. Interesting.

Now I’m wondering about the polymer bushings i.e. IGUS too.

The polymer bushings are made by (among others, I’m sure) IGUS. The problem is that they’re designed to be machine pressed into a sleeve or block, and when they’re installed directly in place of a recirculating LM8 bearing, they have more slop since they’re not compressed by a sleeve.

They also sell a bearing that’s already compressed, but they’re like $25 USD each, so it’s not terribly economical.

IGUS RJZM-01-08 $12 US each. Still not cheap. I wonder how much smoother it could really get though.

http://www.igus.eu/wpck/2292/drylin_r_rjum_01

I bought the LM8LUU from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU382J9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What bearings on the Delta are these meant to replace?

@Jerry They ride the upright vertical steel rods (the ones you lubricate periodically) on either side of the belts. They are inside the black housings.

@goldensnake How difficult did you find the replacement process? Seems like a pretty fair amount of tear-down to get to them and R&R.

@Matfink did it and it took him about 3 hours. I will follow his steps on mine.

Those look like the single length ones though. Make sure you’re looking at the LM8LUU version.

Checked the dimensions, you are correct Jim.

I’m not seeing a ‘Long’ version in their catalog, though I’m sure it’s there somewhere.

The full catalog wants to use Flash and I ditched that long ago.

In any case, as you said, I’m also not sure the considerable increased cost would really be worth it over a good quality set of linear bearings with good lubricant and a good maintenance schedule.