Something wrong with first layer!

Here’s a video I put together showing the twisting motion during printing. The twisting on the vertical carriages translate to rocking motions of the print tool head.

Did you find the cause of the twisting motion, is it a bearing issue? Maybe one of the bearings is stiffer causing the twist…

I manually slice each carrier up and down and they feel the same.

I don’t think that’s the cause. For example, when I just move a single side manually up and down maybe 1-2mm it causes twisting on the other 2 sides. All of the carrier twist in sync. I feel like there is a tolerance issue with the bearings.

Here is a video of me manually moving 2 of the vertical carriages. You will notice that the other carriages have a slight twisting motion.

I checked my machine but could not see any movement then I tried the “bubble level” app in my phone, I still could not detect any wobble. If I move one side up or down the other side move up or down without detectable wobble. Maybe you have a tight or defective bearing in one of the arms. I read sometime ago in other forums issues with new bearings missing balls.

The movement is consistent on all 3 carriages. Unless there is something wrong with all of the bearings. I think the issue must be that the bearings are not a perfect fit to the rods and the very tiny space left allows for a small amount of play. The movement is subtle and less than 1 degree of rotation so it would be undetectable with the “bubble level” app. I’ve done the same. But you can see in my videos it is noticeable. Especially when there is quick oscillating movement.

Here’s a video showing the level app. Notice that there is a change in horizon level. I’m only moving the front right carriage. Also is a screen capture of my iPhone so you can see the same movement clearer.

I have the same issue and i think, that by time it becomes worse. I hope, there will be a solution soon. Or maybe a statement of the flux-Team

Did you find a solution, because I think i’m having this issue more than before

I think I have the same problem. My toolhead is tilting a bit too on direction changes and at first I thought is was normal… now I wonder if it really is.

I also started noticing the first layer thickness problem :disappointed: I have to check again but I think it was a difference of 0,1mm on the printed skirt.

Any news on this issue?

I finally got around to going through my videos of the FLUX printing. I see the exact same thing @topanlego posted in the video a few posts up. I’m still working on editing my video with the rocking and twisting carriages, but here is another video I did that shows the print head dipping and rising while doing infill: https://youtu.be/YgY1c99CCiM

I’ll get my video of the carriages rocking and twisting finished up this week and open a support ticket with FLUX and see what happens. As it is right now, I can print some really nice looking models. But any 3D model that requires the printer to make circles looks like junk.

The parts printed in white were printed on a Cobblebot Little Monster 3D printer and parts printed in yellow were printed on the FLUX, and you can see the circles coming off the FLUX are junk compared to the Cobblebot 3D printer:

Yet, I can get good prints like these:

I have a similar problem with my header, it moves like that a lot when is printing near the edge of the bed plate, so the first layer near the edges aren’t great like the ones on the center, also I notice since 0.3.12 it just calibrate before print on the center and not on the all the three points on the plate.

I have this problem on edges of the print:

I was just about to post about my problem that I’ve been working with Jim on, but getting nowhere with fixing. It looks like I’m having the same issues as well. It’s really frustrating that I can’t get past the first layer. I noticed this problem early on in my printer’s life and changing how I prepare the bed, custom settings, and filament doesn’t help. I have definitely seen the print head tilting from side to side while printing. It is supposed to stay perfectly level?

I have noticed that during my first layer when the flux is making the diagonal pattern to fill in a shape it is printing, it doesn’t always connect the infill to the shape outline. i also get similar smearing and lack of filament in certain places it should be similar to the original posters picture. I’ll try to get some pictures next time it happens.

Personally, I think a uniform first layer is not important as long as some plastic sticks and creates a base for the next layers. I put a minimum of 3 bottom layers to make sure there is a solid base and most of the time about 1 mm thick. Don’t forget each layer is a fraction of mm of melted plastic which is not a high precision process and it is normal to expect + - a few layer variation in the final height of an object. First layer non-uniformity will also depend on blue tape thickness uniformity, planarity of the base, software zeroing errors, etc. In general, when depositing few tenth of mm for first layer, you may see some variations but in my experience that does not affect the final print as long as it sticks.

Definitely looks like the first layer is squished.

I think that the first layer is super important. If it under extrudes or is too high, you won’t have full adhesion to the print surface and your print is much more likely to come unstuck and fail. If you over extrude, the subsequent layers will be over-full and ooze and blob because the extruded plastic won’t have anywhere to go. You should print an object that’s only 1 layer high (or save the skirt/brim from a print) and measure it with calipers to adjust your Z offset properly.

The 3 biggest physical calibration favors you can do yourself are to make sure your XY scaling is accurate, your extrusion rate gives you the proper wall thicknesses, and that your first layer is the right thickness. If you get those 3 right, you’ll be doing great.

G’day Fellows,

Back on 5th May, I wrote a brief explanation of the source (Cause and effect – Solution) of this problem, which can come and go at any time or layer.
The first layer is obviously more noticeable but not the only place this will happen if you have been issued a batch of BAD SLIDE BEARING/ROD ASSEMBLIES.
I wrote to the Flux Team about this issue as well as the other related “Manufacturing Quality” issues and have advised that they would look into it…
The thing with the “incorrect tolerance fit slide bearings” is that the anomaly can come and go at any layer based on the triangulation geometry and respective forces induced at that specific layer by the GCode requirement on the printer moving parts. I.e. Just think of Vector Moments for each legs for example, and imaging each slider experiencing their own XYZ Resultant Vector Force where that Force can either be Compressive (+ve) or Tensile (-ve) value which in turn will provide either a pull or push action on each block. If you have “tolerance play” within the bearing assemblies, even if only one out of the two bearing within that block is affected by this condition, the block will twist against the induced moment, hence the so called shift, twist or whatever words one would like to use will manifest itself. Now the “cause and effect” will increase by the number of “out of tolerance bearings” whether it is cause now due to manufacturing error or later on due to wear and tear.
If you want to fix this, one needs to re-sleeve the Slide Bearings Housing to the correct sliding tolerance fit… please refer to the aforementioned earlier correspondence on that matter

Hi again, I’m just returning to see if anyone has been able to remedy this problem yet with assistance from FLUX. I haven’t been able to use my printer for months because of this problem :frowning:

:astonished:

I commend you on your patience! I would be furious if I had this problem and no fix in sight.

Actually, I’m starting to loose patience. I’ve sent seven emails to Jim @proclaim ? with the FLUX Support Team since July 5th and I haven’t received one reply. I really hope that @Simon and others know about what’s going on and can help get this resolved quickly. I can’t even look at my FLUX because it makes me sick that I haven’t been able to successfully print anything since May(?). I’m now starting to wonder if the hundreds of $ I’ve spent on filament is going to trash can if they don’t get this fixed before the filament goes bad. Please help us!

Have you try update a new firmware and FS? I think with a new calibration routine that might solve your problem.