Slic3r vs Cura vs Cura2

The recent version of Flux Studio adds support for Cura2. I’ve noticed that some times 1 of them will be like 10-20% faster than the others, but there’s not consistency between which is the fastest. It changes depending on the model.

Is it usually better to go with the fastest one, or are there other differences in the slicers that make one better than the others, even if it is slower?

The toolpath calculations are the biggest difference between slicers. How they calculate for the squish and stretch of plastic, which end of the print they start from, how they decide to skip little details and when to come back for them, things like coasting and retraction…

It’s a few years old now, but the slicer comparison in the 1st issue of RepRap Magazine did a good job of helping me visualize the differences between different programs like this.

Check out the article that starts on 14-15 https://issuu.com/garyhodgson/docs/reprapmagazine_issue_1

The difference between Cura and Cura 2, is probably best laid out on their own website. The “new” cura (sounds like apple, right?) is a completely different architecture. https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software The release notes get into it. Anything after 15.04 I believe is the new platform.

And Slic3r just went through some major revamps, as well. I’m not sure which version is rolled into FLUX Studio, but about a year ago they made some really nice improvements. Since then, Josef Prusa has actually started his own branch of Slic3r and accelerated the development of the program. Without paying for S3D or liking the simplicity of KISS, the Prusa branch of Slic3r is where it’s at right now. (of course, heavily based on my own opinion)

Hey - If you look at the build dates of the slicr engine in Flux studio, they look like the new build of Slicr.

Now if somebody could just figure out a way to merge the Prusa improvements to Slic3r with Cura2’s new features, roll that all up into Simplify3D and then shoehorn it into FLUX Studio, I would be forever grateful.

Based on my experience, the slicing speed of each engine is usually like: Simplify >> Cura > Cura2 >> Slic3r, especially when supports are enabled.

Slic3r beats Cura when you’re printing with assembling parts with its xy_size_compensation option, but Cura2 introduce xy_offset as well. I rarely use Slic3r now because it often crash when generating complex support or slicing non-manifold meshes, not sure if the Prusa edition fixed it.

Did you try the prusa version with the flux?

some of the features make me really want to… like https://youtu.be/TZ3JC_fYgjo

If he keeps pushing his slic3r branch…
then there will soon be no need for simplify 3d.

When I switch to cura2 it add about 2 hours approx 35% more time and double the material is anybody else using cura2. With noticing that I think I may go back to cura. Unless someone can explain why its worth it going to cura2.

That time/material difference you are seeing inside of FLUX Studio between the three different embedded slicers is not super accurate and is very, very model specific. Try it on several different models and you will see that there is no ‘standard deviation’.

Also, we should all probably clarify a bit more when we are talking about the different slicers whether we are talking about using the embedded versions or the standalone versions (which have more features) and then importing g-code.

The new Prusa Slic3r is very cool with the variable layer height options, it really does dramatically speed up print times and save filament while still giving detail where needed. It isn’t for every print, but when it fits it’s awesome. The same can be said for Cura 2.5 standalone, it’s got an impressive set of features once you learn how to unhide everything and see all the options.

Using either of those two slicers combined with Meshmixer or Craftware if you need to add custom supports and it would be hard to justify $150 for S3D anymore. I do still use S3D a lot, but that is more of a production/convenience factor. After playing with the other new features though, now I mix it up more often again. I am curious to see if S3D is going to release a big massive, amazing, long overdue update, otherwise, @Tiwaz is absolutely correct.

Yea I agree about S3D and hope that they are working on a big new update.

Just a quick note for anyone making one of those single-layer thick twist containers - use Slic3r. Super simple tool path gives the smoothest, thinnest, walls. Cura jumoed around a lot and made a the wall thicker and rougher. I find myself inspecting the preview for each slicing engine for every model I print.

Technically speaking, we are all supposed to be looking at the preview no matter which slicer we use :slight_smile:

I am guilty of about 50% usage…

I’m guilty of <10% usage… i.e. only when working with weird prints :laughing: