Simplify3D fff profile

To be short, overall rating of slicing engine I tested -
Slic3r - 6
Cura - 8
Simplify3D - 9.5

I wasn’t sure if it’s suitable for official to recommend this software. However, after using for a while, I came out with the conclusion - using Simplify3D do really improve printing quality.

Cura did pretty good job as well, and we’re embedding this slicing engine into newest version as well. I hope there will be CLI interface for Simplify, so we can generate simplify3d gcode in FLUX Studio directly in the future.

Sorry May be an obvious answer to some.

I have S3d

Used your profile but have no idea how to connect to machine.

Plugged in the usb (nothing) and dont know how to get the print to start :frowning: Please help Thanks

Right now Flux printer can’t communicate with S3D through USB or WiFi. You have to upload S3D gcode file to SD folder, select the file and print. Cross your finger and hope Flux team will have the S3D interface with the software in the future.

Would you contact Simplify3D on CLI interface?

At the moment at least for me I am not sure if I agree on those ratings.

Same model, same filament, same temp…

edit:
I anyone wants to give it a try:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:704409

@Simon I’m glad to see you around, on the last days looks like flux team had disappear for a while, but is good that you are still around.

For me Simplify3D is better than Slic3r also I hope flux studio support the the usb connection in the future with simplify, but like some others point I don’t know how this will work if flux needs to convert the gcode to fcode to work.

Here my test model on S3D. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1363023

I will try to print the other test tonight.

@goldensnake

I was using a modified version of your simplify 3d profile…

I tested it with the unmodified version (rev01) and I got the same problems :frowning:

Would you try the test model above to see a different? If you look carefully on your test models, S3D is look better on each object. I have an update fff file (my rev 1.2) and will upload it tonight.

@Simon
Would you share your fff profile to us? So we can use as our reference. Many Thanks.

I want the interface with simpify3d… :slightly_smiling:

With simplify3d you just generate the gcode, and save it in a location in your pc. Then you go to Flux Studio and upload that gcode to the sd card, the program will ask you if you want to convert it to fcode you say yes. Then on the window of flux studio just run that task.

I want the ability to control, the printer via simplify3d. There are many options that you can do in the program, you have more control over the printer… It is not just generating the gcode.

Here is my test model with the fff profile.

Looks good. Thanks for uploading the profile I will give that a try.

My fff rev 1.2 on S3D ver 3.1 with Flux printer is working really well. Here is another test print model. Flux printer is passed all the test with 0.15mm layer. Now I can say Flux printer is best.

Agreed…even with all of the ‘beta testing’ we’ve been doing, I have to admit that I have been really impressed with the capabilities of this printer. Way to go FLUX Team!

Printed Falcon using fff from @goldensnake (Thx!).
Slcr3 could not handle this model. Added manual support, only on the lower half to give the model a bit of a base to sit on.
Bottom part which also includes support has oozing problems. Think this is a general flux problem , possibly because of the distance between the filament driver and the extruder.

Tip: I am using Bison wood glue on my base plate. First layer sticks perfect, and the glue can be removed easily from print as well as base plate

@JCC
To minimize the oozing on retraction, do you select “Outside in” under “Outline direction”?

Hi Goldensnake,
I made a changelog for your FFF profile using KDIFF3

V1.3

• Retraction speed = 4200
  • Perimeter Outlines = 2
  • Perimeter = Outside In
  • Sequential Islands = Off
  • Infill Percentage = 20
  • Temperature = 200C (Starts at 215C)

V 1.2

• Retraction speed = 5000
  • Use Coasting = ON
  • Coasting distance = 0,2
  • Perimeter Outlines = 1
  • Perimeter = Inside Out
  • Sequential Islands = On
  • Skirt Offset = 3
  • Infill Percentage = 15
  • Outline Overlap Percentage = 35
  • Generate Support = OFF
  • Temperature = 195C (Starts at 215C)

V 1.0 Initial Release

Comments on V1.3: “Outside In” can cause mayor problems with steep overhangs, especially if someone sets perimeter outlines higher than 2