Simplify3D fff profile

After 3 months of trial and error and testing, I have my best Simplify3D fff profile for Flux. I’d like to share to all, who use Simplify3D, for testing or tweaking it so we can use as standard Flux Printer fff profile on S3D software.

@Simon and Flux team
My printer is working with no single failure since February 22nd and is connected to wifi network all the time with 99% of successful connection rate.

Simplify 3d and FLUX Delta +

Hi @goldensnake this is a great profile, I use your profile that you post before on another thread and from there I modified mine to get it working with my printer (mainly because I have different surface from yours so I need to adjust the speed and first layer settings), also the temperature depends of the brand of filament I’m using.

Great share and very good one for the people who are also using simplify3d

OK, stupid question, why would I want to buy Simplify3D? I am noob at all this. Doing pretty well with the Flux Studio so far. Just curious.

I’m newbie on the hobby and Flux is my first printer. Here is my personal reference after I’m trying many free 3D software and slicer, I’ve found S3D is easy to use in term of WYSIWYG. S3D is already optimized for your print, user just need to change few parameters for using different filament. I have done a lot of testing between stock slicer in FS and S3D, S3D is better. Support structure is easily to remove. The S3D slicer is fast too. Many more features on the software. It give a 2 weeks trial and I like to use it after two weeks. That’s my 2 cents review.

You can adjust settings by layer, 20% infill for the 1st X layers & 40% after. You can have diff settings per object if you’re printing more than one object. And many other features.

Thank you both for you feedback. I will give it a try. I will have to line up some prints first. :smile:

Thanks for al the hard work you have done!

I tried printing the famous Treefrog http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18479 but it came out a bit stringy. (Flux Red filament, no other changes to the profile than “disable support”)

Your profile does not reflect the “retract_before_travel = 2” from the Flux Studio advanced settings.
I think this is the same as the “Coast at end > Coasting distance” in simplify3D so I will try to print again with this setting enabled (Coasting distance = 0.20mm) and show the results.

It dit not help a lot.

I am gonna make the filament filter firts to see if that helps.

Kind regards,

Hayo

Update S3D fff profile:

1. Enable Coast at End: 0.2mm
  2. Start Script: adding retract 40mm before calibration for firmware 1.1.2. G1 E-40 F300.
    For the stringing, I can’t 100% reducing it. It works very well in most model and few model are acceptable.

Also I’ve learned that not all parameters from Flux studio expert settings that work in S3D. S3D has preset optimized profile so users don’t need to change all beside the essential parameters on the advance settings. However I usually change one parameter and test it. I tested my fff profile on the model and it comes out realty good.

New Simplify3D Version 3.1.0 has support Wi-Fi printing on some printer.
•Added support for XYZprinting da Vinci 1.1 Plus, da Vinci 1.0 Pro, and da Vinci Jr. 1.0
•Updated support for latest FlashForge Dreamer firmware and new FlashForge Finder 3D printer
•New support for Bits-from-Bytes (BFB) file format including automatic flowrate control
•New file format export options to streamline the creation and management of multiple file formats
•Added support for line numbering and checksums during USB printing for real-time error checking and improved reliability
•Numerous enhancements to USB printing for da Vinci machines including real-time preview tracking and progress reporting
•Added support for Wi-Fi printing to da Vinci 1.1 Plus and da Vinci 1.0 Pro
•Multiple process dialog now uses the previously selected processes as the default selection
•More intuitive file extension prompts when exporting toolpaths into different file formats
•New firmware configuration option for using software-based flow control
•Cross-section tool now allows easy selection and editing of internal model features including interior support structures
•Customized profiles created using the Configuration Assistant will now be compatible with the Dual Extrusion Wizard
•Improved pre-heating sequence for multiple extruders
•Improved retract-while-wiping performance for complex shapes and fill patterns
•Improved retractions when creating multiple ooze shields and prime pillars
•Continued improvements to the slicing engine for automatically handling models with slight defects or mesh errors
•Improved filtering for small movements during toolpath generation
•Improved support for latest Smoothieware firmware and USB communication protocols
•Post-processing scripts can now contain commas
•Post-processing comments in the gcode header will now be maintained to avoid extra line breaks or invalid commands
•Improved warnings for firmware or machine settings that will be overriden by your process settings
•New warning to prevent closing the software when an active print is running
•New licensing improvements for easier management of software installations
•Added over 30 new pre-configured profiles including the 3D Systems CubePro, BCN3D Sigma, bq Prusa i3 Hephestos 2, Cocoon Create 3D Printer, CTC Bizer Dual, E3D BigBox, LulzBot TAZ 6, MendelMax 3.0 Dual, Monoprice Maker Select, PowerSpec Ultra, Raise3D N2, re:3D Gigabot 2 XL and Gigabot 3 XL, Renkforce RF2000, Kossel Pro, Robo3D R1+, Turnigy Fabrikator and Fabrikator Mini, Ultimaker 2+, Ultimaker 2 Extended+, DeltaWASP 20×40, and DeltaWASP 40×70

If only we can get it to connect via wifi to the flux…

That’s on my wish list. I only use FS to upload gcode file only.

Have you seen the thread I put up about using the image to gcode software for laser enraving. I have not tried it since I’m not great at code. Bt if we can get that to work we can get better control over the laser with dithering…

You probably can set the “Max Overhang Angle” from 45 deg to 60 deg or even 65 deg.
Test is done using €15/KG Hobbyking branded PLA at 215C.

Kind regards,
Hayo

I’ve been using 0 as the "max overhang angle so the software does all the figuring for supports. I was having some trouble with some more complex models and this solved it for me in Simplify3D. To be fair, I was using the same setting in Slic3r with decent results, but the supports are much easier to remove in Simplify3D.

There always a few spots that software might miss on adding supports, I lower the over angle, generate the supports and manually add and remove them as need by slicing them on z axis. Here were my prints

The speed of 80mm/s in Flux Studio translates to 4800mm/min in Simplify 3D, your profile sets it to 3600mm/min.
Did you do this on purpose?

Same with “retract_layer_change = 0” , your profile says Force Retraction between layers = on
Did you do this on purpose?

Kind regards,
Hayo

I also have a question about the speed others are printing with their flux.

I print between 50 mm/s and 60 mm/s because the printer shakes too much when I print faster than this, an also the filament feeder make noises when is printing the infill (which normally is printed faster than the shell). So my question is a what speed you see the flux can print without issues?

Setting at 4800mm/min is shake the printer, 3600mm/min is a compromised speed after trial and error. FYI

I also don’t go above 60mm/s. Depending on the filament quality (I use different stocks), I also reduce the speed if I get to much clunking from the extruder. I find there is a delicate balance between speed, nozzle temp and print quality and it changes from print to print, as some prints are more intricate and require slower runs.