Simplify 3d alternatives?

TO BEGIN WITH: im sorry pfeerick i cant buy simplify 3D without knowing replacements! ok so this is a new topic followed from not so professional FS? and i dont want to pay for lunch :wink: , i mean dont want to pay for simplify 3D so i wanted replacements. (i want custom support, retraction settings, um… i guess thats it just many more settings to play with hehe…). simplify 3D seems like the best i know, but I cant help looking for a replacement :slight_smile:

It’s a bit hard to replace simplify3d if you don’t have it already! :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:
So what do the forum experts say?

aren’t you one of them, apart from the staff!

I’ve only got two printers, and use the software with them… so not even close :wink: When I get my greedy little hands on Simplify3D things might be a bit different. I’m still just a newbie… just been around here a bit longer :wink:

To my knowledge, S3D has its slicing algorithm, optimization and features. They have a knowledge base and forum to support 3D printing community. Better yet, they also has the Flux Delta printer profile on the supported printer list. In the end, it depends on what’s exactly you’re looking for…Happy printing.

Look at Ideamaker

and Craftware

On occasion, I use these software to fix STL file problems or generate complex supports and create gcode files, similar to S3D but free. However 98% of the time I use Flux Studio with Cura engine. They all have a learning curve, no free lunches!

Another one I think has potential is the prusa version of slic3r

But I did not set it up yet or try if with the Flux

Waiting for my upgrade kit before I do so.

At some point, it’s kind of like the Ford/Chevy debate. Some people are loyal to one, and others are to another. And it’s mostly based on perception and chance instead of fact. I’ve tried Slic3r, Cura (old and new), KISS, MatterControl, CraftWare, S3D, and a few others. The reality is that none of them are perfect. Each of them will do something better and something worse than all of the other ones. I’d suggest that you pick one or two that have a logical interface and are being actively developed.

At this point in time, I’m personally a fan of S3D for its custom supports and multiple processes feature set, I like ‘classic’ Cura for its simplicity and ease of use, and I like the Prusa fork of Slic3r because it’s being developed at an accelerated pace. I could tell you something I don’t like about each of them, too :slight_smile:

Try them ALL!

If you are not ready to purchase S3D (and if you are just getting started, don’t do it) Try all the others.

The Prusa edition of Slic3r with the variable layer options is pretty awesome, and Cura 2.5 has a bunch of cool new features too. If you just need to do some custom supports Craftware has that and so does Meshmixer.

Those are all FREE.

I have them all and I use them all. Lately, I find myself doing more custom supports in Meshmixer for even more control over placement, and then importing that into Cura or Slic3r to use some of the other features, and then export as gcode. FLUX Studio allows direct import of gcode now, so we don’t have to do the upload to the SD card trickery anymore so you really can use any of them that you like. As Jim and the others said try them, experiment. See what works for you.

Quite often, it is actually the model itself that will dictate which slicer I use as some things just lend themselves better to certain slicers. If I know I’ve got a lot of detail and may need multiple processes and complicated supports, I’ll use S3D. Unless supports might get really detailed, then I will lay them in by hand in Meshmixer and slice in something else. If it is something simple and easy, don’t overlook FLUX Studio itself with it’s own built-in versions too. Very often that is more than capable of about 60-70% of what I need to print and does just fine.

S3D is great, but for the price, development has been a bit lacking, the others are catching up fast and can now do some things that S3D can’t do. S3D is at a point where they need to innovate or drop the price.

As an end user, you have a ton of options to try out before you need to even worry about that, and you can actually look back through these forums and see that I held out for a very long time too and got along just fine without it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great, but it’s getting long in the tooth. Slic3r has Prusa driving it forward. Cura has Ultimaker pushing progress. They are not waiting around, and they are OpenSource.

yup, i found out today that slic3r, cura, craftware and s3d are not the only slicers! thanks alot for the help!

I downloaded ideaMaker. It seems pretty powerful with manual support and all that stuff. I sliced a calibration cube, saved the gcode and then wanted to upload it to fs. But i got the error out of toolpath. Have you had that error too? The cube is only 20mm×20mm×20mm so it isnt to big.

I had never tried using it to generate g-codes. I only used it to repair structures or generate support and save as stl. I tried today to create gcodes but I could not slice it since it does not have a Flux template (delta). I did add the Printer and machine description but that is not enough and I don’t know how to add different templates for fill, speed, etc… How did you generate your gcode? If you use another printer template, the gcode would be different and that may be the source of error.

Ah that makes total sence. I am not that familiar with g code so i tought i could take a template from the printers which are already there

May be a stupid question but how do you export the stl file with support structures? If i export it the support structure is gone and i cant find the setting which exports the support too.

Cura 2.7

I guess I was mistaken on saving the supported files and cannot remember if the earlier versions did permit saving the support modified files as stl but you can save the repaired files. Although lately, the files I repaired with it do not print well either!

Try Cura 2.7 but it generates G-codes, however the file would work in Flux, if you input the Printer description correctly and I think it does also a better job with the support than the original Cura. Brian, @pmbroth, has just posted Cura2.7 Quick Start Guide, maybe he also has the settings file available and can share it.