Saving failed prints?

So, once again, I find myself looking for a way to restart 6 hrs into a 10 hr print. Had a head tilt error where something likely dragged enough to pull it off z axis.
Is there a way to remove the first ?-number of layers and restart to attempt saving a print?
Got it still securely adhered in place, so willing to try anything right now.

Would likely require some method to remove already printed layers from the gcode, then resetting the print head relative to what printed. I think it could be done.

Anyone got method or way to do this?

Maybe it’s possible with simplify3d where you have the possibility to start prints at various heights. And before, you have to deactivate leveling and calibration in the flux preferences. I’ve never tried this, but i can imagine, that it should be possible

Maybe an option that doesn’t require a $149 software purchase? :anguished:

If you can figure out what layer you’re on, you can always look for that Z height in the GCode file and edit it yourself to begin where you want it… Knowing the layer height is still the sticking point, though.

Fortunately, there is enough detail in the print that I can get within a few layers of where it left off. I’m tempted to just restart from there then glue the two pieces together.

So, where do I get the gcode to edit? I assume I could just use a text editor to remove the layers that already printed?

Thanks for the help.

The GCode that you were printing should show up on the SD card under the folder icon in the dashboard. I’m not sure what filetype that’s in though… Perhaps there’s a way to extract the GCode from it?

A simple text editor would do the trick, yep. Since the machine homes when you turn it on, I’m guessing that the only start GCode you’d have to add would be to set the extruder temperature, which you could copy from the top of the full GCode…

This will be interesting, to say the least. Let us know what you find and whether it ends up working or not!

Downloaded the code… Not straight forward as I had hoped… maybe in hex?
Here is a sample from the beginning.

FCx0001
t[0fC»@úE†@fC»ñE03≥>ñEÆG˜A¸©¬¿ñD¥ÆG˜A≤ù&¬◊â=¥áñB≤ù&¬7 >¥áñB¸©¬#°M>¥ê¬˜A¸©¬2Bà>ñEX˘A3≥¬¿ñD¥X˘A{î%¬e£>¥VéB{î%¬"âæ>¥VéB3≥¬C≠Ÿ>¥Ú“˘A3≥¬
˝Û>ñE~j˚Ajº¬¿ñD¥~j˚ADã$¬¨ˇ?¥ÖBDã$¬“?¥ÖBjº¬P?¥`Â˚Ajº¬Úò!?ñE¯S¯AÎQ¬ñE-„A¸©¬¿ñD¥-

I’m gonna keep pursuing this as a workflow opportunity. Would be a neat feature and selling point as maybe an advanced function.