Recreus.com - Skin I Filaflex

I think FLUX can already support this filament as it doesn’t need heat bed! (as per the deception on their site)

http://recreus.com/en/home/37skini-filaflex.html#.VM-ZyNKUeum
http://recreus.com/en/home/38skinii-filaflex.html#.VM-bAtKUeuk

Hand printed using that filament - http://3dprintingindustry.com/2015/01/31/low-cost-flexy-hand-3d-printed-prosthetic/

Flexible filaments are a very tricky thing to extrude. Since they’re so flexible, as soon as they’ve gone through the drive rollers of the extruder and are “under pressure”, they need to be fully enclosed so that they don’t bind and kink. That’s why most of the printers out there that do flexible filament need either a special extruder or some sort of an extruder mod to make this work.

That being said, many of those companies designed their extruders before flexible filament was commonplace, so hopefully somebody that’s coming to the game a bit later like FLUX will have this design consideration on the table early enough to work it in.

Looking forward to seeing the drawings and design specs of the extruder on the FLUX. I hope it’s awesome!

Totally agree with you Jim! I really hope FLUX team will be designing their extruder to support more type of filaments specially the ones like this one (flexible filaments) which I guess would be used more and more in future.

Another manufacturer is fliabot. They have a PLA/ABS model recycling bot that turns failed projects back into filament.

Flexible Filament

Hi guys!

We are about to test these flexible filament to see which can fit FLUX best!

Polyflex http://polymakr-llc.myshopify.com/
NinjaFlex http://www.fennerdrives.com/25c4272a-f5ab-404a-af98-a0ade180419c/_/3d/
Filaflex http://recreus.com/en/

Any other flexible filament you want to see we test on FLUX?
Or do you have any suggestions for us before we start the test?

well all i know is, one of the hardest materials to print is filaflex. if you guys succeed. most of the modified PLA would work on the flux… flexible filament doesn’t cooperate well with high pressure, but goodluck im looking forward to the results.

Another option for testing filament is proto-pasta

they have iron, magnets, copper and conductive PLA

SHOOOOW US!!! :smiley: How did it go? pictures videos what have you, i know you guys are very strict with the updates but just show some pics and if they didn’t turn out good, say why in the picture so that people don’t go crazy.

I’m more than glad to show you any picture of that,

but these filaments are still on their way shipping to us…

You won’t wait for too long before you see the result once they arrive!

Does anyone have a list of locations/ websites of where you can purchase the filaments featured in the March #2 Update? I didn’t know about the Luminescent, Photochromic, Thermochromic, or extra strength filaments. Also I didn’t see anything about the carbon fiber or conductive filaments. Did you not receive them?

“Deception” or “Description”?

Hey all, I just started to experiment with PolyFlex, I tried with 200º, 215º, and 230º all with a slower print speed of 30. I wasn’t able to even get the raft to print properly with any of these. As far as I can tell the material flows for a few minutes and then stops coming out. Anyone else have this experience. @Hunter do you have any suggestions?

I’ve done some printing with ninjaflex on my Rostock, and it’s very demanding on the extruder. The filament has to be completely supported, the extruder drive gear has to be able to grip it tightly enough to push it, the filament path has to be straight and avoid kinks and impedance. You also want your bowden tube to be as short as possible, very few have been able to get non direct drive extruders to work. I haven’t tried flexible filament on the FLUX yet, but I’d be surprised if it did very well without some modifications.

Just to follow up on this I think the issue is with feeding and not my settings. I noticed the filament wouldn’t unload properly, I had to pull it out. When I did I could see that more material was present than normal. I believe the filament loads properly then at some point the feeder slips up and stars feeding the material into the top enclosure of the machine. You can see the kinks in the filament and upon closer inspection there are black marks which I think might be the feeder repeatedly rubbing against the material with being able to pull it through.

This means i can get a few minutes of printing, then the feeder fails and no new material is fed into the printhead, instead it collects in the body of the machine.

I just loaded up another standard filament the machine has no feeding issues, I believe it’s due to the softness of the PolyFlex material.

I spent some more time with Polyflex today and while I still couldn’t get it to print, I didn’t have any filament getting sucked into the body of the machine. I think I’m going to give up on it for now but it’d be great to get some feedback from someone at Flux about this issue.

@Hunter any ideas on how to improve the feed, also how did your print tests come out? Is NinjaFlex or Filaflex better with the Flux than Polyflex?

I’m currently going through all the threads now that I’ve gotten my FLUX. Has anyone used the FLUX with NinjaFlex?

I haven’t tried it, but from my reading elsewhere, it’s not very effective in bowden tube setups. The flexible nature does not do very well when pressed down a long tube. It works best with a direct feed extruder. Good luck though.

Hi Hunter, I’m interested in see your results on the flexible filaments, I was thinking on buy a flexible filament, but I wasn’t sure if this filament will work with flux machine, so that’s why I’m interested on see your results with this kinds of filaments.

PD. Also I was looking the proto-pasta filaments like @Eragand mention, so did you also tested this kind of filaments?

Without a structural redesign, the use of the more flexible filaments will always be problematic for the Flux. The Bowen tube design means that the knurled wheel is pushing the filament down the tube, and every time the filament hits the side of the tube, it drags a little bit, making the filament behind the contact point flex a little, possibly hitting the other side of the tube and adding more friction. With enough contact points, the friction of the filament in the tube increases to the point where the knurled wheel can’t push the filament down the tube. Think about trying to push a string through a straw.

A filament drive mounted directly on top of the print head doesn’t have this problem, because it’s only pushing the filament directly into the hot end, and is pulling the filament through the feed tube, making it straighten out. But putting the drive on the print head adds weight, imposing additional constraints on the movement of the print head and power delivery. It’s possible that the Flux developers could design a filament drive that mounts on the top of the print head, but it would need both power (fed through the existing cable and out the bottom into the printhead) and control (no existing connections, so a new top end would need to be designed to feed control from the existing control board).

Does anyone have a S3D profile for printing flexible filament on the flux yet?