PrintDry with Flux

I recently backed the PrintDry project on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730230926/printdry-filament-dryer?ref=user_menu

I must say that I was a little skeptical about the idea at first, but it has proven to work surprisingly well. I didn’t realize how quickly PLA absorbs water and the impact it has on print quality. The unit also provides a very handy ball-bearing supported filament feeder:

I’ve had several spools of old PLA that I’d almost thrown out because they produced very poor prints. The PrintDry has brought them back to life. Can highly recommend it!

Very interesting, I have an old Food Dehydrator in storage which looks similar, maybe I can modify it for this purpose. All it will require is about 20cm high and some 30cm dia cylinder enclosure.
Could you give me some details on how it operates? Such as:
Do you leave the filament inside all the time with it switched on, even during a printing process?
How long does it take to dry a filament roll and to what temperature do you set it for PLA?
Thanks

Sure thing. It basically just circulates warm air around the filament. The filament doesn’t move, it just sits on a small turn-table so it can be fed directly from the unit. It’s not really a complicated machine :slight_smile:

For PLA the recommended temperature is 45C/115F. If you plan to dry an entire roll of PLA it takes about 4 hours (a little less if the PLA spool is “open” on the side). The PrintDry guys also supply such open spools and an STL files for printing a re-spooler.

What I have had great success doing is run it for about an hour before printing and then also during. As the filament comes of the spool and more is exposed, it is dry by the time it reaches the printer.

What is also neat is that you can use it to dry desiccant packs as well (so you can reuse them).

Thanks for the info, I am going to try to use my old Food Dehydrator as soon as I modify the top cover.