I have the original Delta. In December the print head filled itself with molten PLA and I had to send it back for repair, but it immediately (two prints later) did the same thing. At that point I was out of warranty so I had to buy the new head with metal face. I have only been able to get one successful print out of this head - every other time it simply falls off the magnets. It will run through the movement tests fine, it will calibrate, and then start to print and in trying to print the brim circle around the edge it always falls off. To make matters worse, I have the upgrade kit all installed now, and so when it falls off it burns a hole or drags the hot end right through the nice print mat.
So far I’ve tried the following:
- Installed the oil sponges thinking maybe there was too much friction, but that seemed to actually make it worse, so I have since removed.
- Slowed travel speed down to a crawl. I have the travel speed set to 90, which is barely faster than infill speeds. My thought was there was more weight in the new head, so the high speeds were getting too much momentum going and the sudden change of directions were breaking the connection. So far, even moving to creeeping speeds hasn’t helped.
- I haven’t examined the ball ends under a microscope, but upon examination they all still look smooth. I have tried lots of oil and very little oil, but neither seem to help.
I’m at the point of just thinking I should toss this thing. I’ve poured hours of time into repairs and tinkering, and have very few successful prints to show for it. If anyone has a helpful suggestion on how to get the magnets to not detach please let me know! I still have the old (dead) print head…maybe I should just swap the magnets from there.