Poor Quality Printing Issue

Its been a long time since i received my Delta Printer and i managed to get it to print recently. My first print was a Chess Piece.

As you can see, its a pretty good print and i really liked it, the outside only.
This print looks wonderful from the outside but the inside is actually disastrous.

Noticed the strands coming out where it shouldn’t be. This should be a rather easy print but the result was as such. I thought it was probably because its the first print after so long that resulted in this.

So , i decided to give it another go, this time round, a rather popular yet complicated model.

Introducing Groot? From the Guardian of the Galaxy.
I realised that this is a huge jump from a simple chess piece, but as a curious person, i couldn’t wait to test the capability of this printer.

Again, it looked great, on the outside. However, on further inspection, you can actually see gaps appearing on the print. Mostly on the bottom.

So, these are the holes that are appearing on the body of the print, which makes me wonder why is the print on the top so smooth yet the print on the bottom so rough?

That is not the end of the issue yet, there is another much worse problem.

So, the base of the print. I am not sure whether it is supposed to be exposed or not which i am assuming no. Looking at the print, one can tell that honeycomb was selected for the infill method. But is it supposed to be so messy? Isn’t it supposed to look clean?

So, summarizing the entire issue:

• Gaps appearing on the print
  • Messy support on the inside
  • Strange sound from the spool when printing

if anyone has encountered such problems before, please tell me how you solved it, what settings you use, any special preparation. I am very new to the printer and the first 2 print tells me that the printer can do much better. Thank You in Advance!

You need to increase your infill percentage and/or the number of top layers. The top surfaces are bridging too large of a gap to do it cleanly. Higher infill will decrease the gap that the top surfaces need to bridge, and more top surfaces will do a better job of closing up those surfaces.

Here are some guides that can help you figure out these, and many other issues.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide
http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troubleshooting_Pictorial_Guide

Thanks for the quick reply. I am currently looking at the simplify webpage, it is a great website especially to new user like me. I noticed your suggestion for the filling the gap in the print and i will try that out for the next print. However, i am unable to identify what is the issue in regard to a messy support in simplify3d. (Last image). The printer was indeed printing a honeycomb structure which is still visible, but, it seems like the base has been ripped off, as you can see the base was only printed partially… what may be the cause?

So, i have went ahead and started on another print. This print will serve as a test to find out what different configuration will bring out what kind of result. But as soon as the print started, this happened.

noticed something bumping out? I believe that may be one of the problems that causes a poor print above. I am not sure if its due to the first layer not sticking or not coming out. I realised as the print was doing the first loop, it wasn’t laying any print down at all, but subsequently, the layer start to come out around the 2nd/3rd loop. Can anyone tell me the cause of it?

A lot of information missing here to give you an accurate answer but Jim gave you a really good starting point.

Going back to your original post, you said you’ve had the printer for a long time but have only recently managed to get it to print.
How long have you had it?
Has the maching been lubricated?
And if it has been sitting, did you clean it and lubricate it again before trying to print again?

Does that also mean that the filament you are using is the same age (at least) as the printer?
How has that filament been stored?

Regarding the bottome of both of your prints, it looks like there is no bottom layer.
What settings do you have set for:
Shell Surfaces?
Top Layers?
Bottom Layers?
Infill Percentage?

What surface material are you printing on? Is it the standard metal plate with glue stick or something else?

What temperature settings are you using?
First layer?
Printing?

These are the basic questions that need answers to get you more dialed in. For your first prints, those are not bad at all, believe me, I’ve seen other printers that produce puddles or noodles. On the chess piece, you’ve got it hollow and some stringing inside, We can help you with that but let’s get your other issues fixed first. Your Groot is not bad either, but hard to say without the full picture of what settings.

It looks like maybe you don’t have good and uniform adhesion layer (stick glue or whatever you use) on the platform. Also if you are printing on a steel plate slow down the 1st layer print speed <=15mm/s. My experience is slow 1st layer speeds reduce adhesion issues.

yup you do need to increase infill and it should calibrate properly and make sure you printing speed is not too high if you did increase it then that might be the problem, dont use support for prints without big bridges and try getting new filament, i had the problem of the strange noise your talking about i used a new spool and it worked awesome. i guess its the filament as filament wears out over time. i recommend you address everything i mentioned so you get the best print quailty possible. try to print on high quality and see if it helps. my printer is a flux delta + I recieved it a few days after your post so my filament is fairly new!

Hope this helps!