Old Flux - New issue

My old KS Flux has developed an issue that I can’t seem to troubleshoot. It is not always happen as I can make one good print out of ten attempts. But it has started shifting layers and changing level. As the layer shifts, one axis seems to add distance to the Z axis. Can’t track it down

Hmm, that sure looks like one or more of the vertical bearing sets might be sticking or is slipping while printing. How many hours do you have on the unit? Have you kept it properly lubricated? Is there any visible wear on the vertical bars? Does the unit make any popping/grinding noise when printing?

I assume that a auto calibration and movement tests all pass without issue, correct? what print surface are you printing to? Magnetic Pad, metal plate with glue or other print surface?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Hopefully others will pipe in as well.

-Lance

Slippage was my thought too. Auto calibration runs as always. One fail out of 10 or 20. Completes just fine on retry when it does. The print head currently logs at 1158 hours, but this print head is a replacement less than a few month old. The printer itself has been running daily with few breaks since February (end of Kickstarter) 2016. I updated it with the kit in August 2017. Last October I ordered new bearing carriages and replaced those, as the plastic fins that hold the bearings was worn and the carriages had too much wobble. It has some wear on the back most posts when you run a finger down it (you feel small regular burrs) but I serviced the bearings and posts months ago and keep them lubed. All bearing carriages move freely by hand. And since some models do print and some never print (though the same models print just fine on my Flux+ sitting next to it) I am at a loss as to cause mechanically. I am printing to both the metal plate at times and the magnet build plate at other times. Even glass occasionally. The issue seems to be related to print area boundaries. It’s almost as if my printer now has a halved print area where it’s successful. Reaching out past the half, and printing into the normal full sized area causes the most problems.

Model tried last night after big careful lube job and cleaning.

Same STL on same computer printed at same time on Flux + next to it.

Both machines lubed and cleaned at the same time in the same way regularly. Old machine has new print head (see last post) and Flux + print head a bit older at 1696 hours.

Took to cleaning the rods. Then re-lubing then with WD-40 brand silicone. This allowed for a better print! However there was a glitch. Hoping it was a non-related anomaly.

Got a good build. So… greasing up the rods was key. Odd. Perhaps the very cold weather here made the grease age faster.

That reminded me of a print of mine which did the same thing. The problem in my case was definitely caused by the nozzle hitting the layer below which stopped one or more axis and knocked each axis further and further out of position with each new layer causing it to rise up at one end as pictured below.
I did two things to stop it from happening.

1. I stopped using Triangle or Grid infill in CURA 2 as this overlaps lines in a single layer causing high spots which can hit the nozzle on the next layer. (Looks like it could be Grid infill in your picture perhaps?)
  2. After the base plate calibration has finished, I stick the base plate in place using sellotape over the edges so the print can’t move around. (I find this also helps get rid of odd lines halfway up prints)

I shall take that info to heart and give it a try. Also, as indicated in another post (and I’ll add here) my magnets are badly damaged. The chrome has come off and made rough edges. (The rings, not the spheres). And yes, I lube them regularly.