I had the pleasure of doing lunch with MilkDog the other day, and he reminded me that I haven't done a good job of keeping this thread going...
I've redesigned a few things here and there, and haven't really reached a point that I'd consider finished quite yet. I've gotten some nice prints out of it, but can't help myself from wanting to keep changing things Here's an example of how awesome the prints are. My other printers put these vertical bands in my parts. The new printer does not.
Two of the largest struggles that I've had to overcome are related to FSR bed leveling, and getting the bed to reach temp. My bed is a 6 pound (~3kg) chunk of mic6 aluminum tool plate. It's a very large thermal mass, and it's overkill for this application, requires MORE than the 525W of heat that I've got on it.
That much aluminum also makes it difficult for my FSRs to detect the hotend probing. I'm very pleased with the FSR mounts that I designed, but it's just too much weight to expect it to notice a light tap of the hotend.
The other unforeseen struggle that I've been battling is belt clearance. I designed these nice plastic pieces to hold some 608 bearings for the belt to ride on, but I've been finding that the plastic crushes a little bit and will act like a brake on the belt, and make the movements from that particular carriage go "fuzzy". The fix will be to make them out of resin. I'm working on that now.
Next on the list is upgrading to the Chimera extruder from E3D. I've had enough difficult jobs from customers with extreme overhangs lately, that I've decided to make this a priority sooner than later. I also need to get around to designing some fan shrouds for it, and to finish the enclosure.
I've also been distracted by a large resin printer build that we're doing at work. The idea is to make a DLP resin printer that fits larger installation grade and venue projectors...
Anyway, slow moving but never static. I'll try to do better about posting updates.