Magnetic Build Surface Longevity

I guess you didn’t follow the conversation. I had been bending and never used a scraper. Bending didn’t always work. Someone here suggested I try a scraper. I doubted that was a good idea. I have confirmed that.

Haha, im pretty sure im not gonna try that! gonna go back to to metal and glue too!

Wow! That looks really familiar Jim… :slight_smile:

Where did FLUX say that the magnetic build plate was only rated for 30 prints? That seems questionable.

I would not recommend using the scraper with it, but if it works for you…

For a print that is stuck really hard, and flexing isn’t helping, I would try the freezer method before anything else.

I emailed them and here is the reply: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_ReTiIOnFd0RG45RXdVQmFYX1U

If you have damaged the surface of your magnetic build plate, like I have, [In fact, I have destroyed four of them] try this little trick. You can put blue tape on top of the magnetic surface, and it will function better than before. The model adheres to the blue tape just fine, and then you can flex it off as before, but the adhesion is not nearly as strong. The model pops off more easily.

I’ve now printed over 50 different items on the magnetic base and it still looks as good as the day it was taken out of the wrapper. I have used the japan scraper each time to remove the print and have yet to gouge or damage the base in anyway. Guess your mileage may vary.

Indeed. Some experienced users are finding it easy to damage the pads and others are having no issues at all. Odd.

So far the only damage I have sustained was early on when the toolhead came off from the feed tube being twisted and it melted a small hole in my pad. Other than that so far so good.

Flux Magnetic Print Plate

I just replaced my original build surface with a buildtak like surface from my friend Mark at Peopoly. Basically, I peeled off the old build surface and cleaned the magnet with alcohol to remove the extra adhesive. Then to avoid bubbles under the surface, I submerged the magnet in a pan with water and a drop of dish liquid (homemade application fluid).

Peel the backer off of the new surface, slide it under the water to avoid bubbles, and squeegee them together. After they’re attached, take it out of the water and give it another squeeze.

And after it’s dried for a day or two, cut to size.

I’ve only run one print on it so far, but no issues to report. I did notice that the new material was about twice as thick as the original, so maybe that will help with the bubbling and lifting issues that I had on the first one. I’ll let you know how it goes after a few more prints.

I just did this… but not all the steps. I had an older BuildTak 8 inch circle I still hadn’t used from a year ago. I just pulled the old surface off the new but damaged magnetic plate, made sure it was clean with alcohol swabs, stuck on the BuildTak. I cut off the couple of millimeters overhang but I don’t think I really needed to. I am on my 20th print now with great success! I have 5 damaged magnetic plates (I like redundancy. I like redundancy.) and ordered BuildTak for all of them.

I’m happy to report that the Peopoly sheet that I installed is holding up very nicely. I can see a couple little tiny dinks in it from where the nozzle touches for the FSR calibration, but there’s absolutely no damage to the surface related to printing. I’ve printed a couple dozen little things on the surface, and it’s holding up quite nicely.

I might be having to use your Peopoly/buildtak method soon. My original flux one has just chipped a triangle out of the middle. I came on here to look at the store.flux3dp.com to buy a new one and the website is closed as well as the flux3dp.com site. :anguished:

They are probably having issues, I was on the site this morning with no issues.

Well that’s good to know. Thanks pmbroth.

Might be related to whatever killed the forums over the weekend. Maybe they are just cleaning up / fixing / doing maintenance on the entire domain.

More on topic: I FINALLY divetted out a small spot in the middle of the magnetic plate that came with the Delta+ (it’s maybe…MAYBE…a mm diameter divet) that came up when I was removing a multi part print that I had piecemealed together to fill up the bed diameter so I wasn’t printing a bunch of small parts separately.

It was also print 42 on my spreadsheet and about the 10th or so print using Push Plastic Filament instead of Flux Filament (the 3d Cafe here sells Push and the advantage of walking in and buying it off a shelf outweighed…everything else at that point because I had a project I wanted to print sooner than shipping time would have been convenient for). So I feel like I got pretty decent mileage on the thing. It’s still definitely useable at this point, we’ll see how long it continues.

My partner and I have been discussing ordering a few things from the store in the near future. I want to do some messing around with the toolhead but for the sake of partner’s sanity we decided it may be wise to order an “extra” for me to frankenstein…he let’s me have exactly “this much” fun before he reels me back into reality - and if I’m going to deal with DHL shipping to Canada I may as well order enough to make it worth the hassle so I may order a couple more plates as backups…or use Jim’s Buildtak method…or both…and still looking at getting a glass plate both “just in case” and to see which I like better (and I can get it from the same place in Canada as the Buildtak…yay no DHL).

I like options…

There’s a BOGO sale on replacement magnetic print surfaces on the Flux website right now. Getting a free $16 print mat offsets the shipping quite nicely if you needed to order anything else…

Where do you see this BOGO offer? I just got an email from support letting me know that the filament sensor was back in stock and thought I would take advantage of this while ordering that part. I don’t see it anywhere.

Maybe the deal is over… There was a banner at the top of the page when I placed my order - now it’s not there. Maybe it was a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal?

That’s too bad, would have been a nice way to offset the incredible high shipping costs. Oh well.