Magnetic Build Surface Longevity

Has anybody else had an issue with their new magnetic printing surface wearing out quickly? I don’t have a lot of hours on mine yet, but after running the first 3 or 4 prints on the new mat, I saw some wear and tear that worried me… Hopefully it’s an isolated incident and I just got lucky or something.

After the prints came off of the surface a few times, I had 2 raised blisters on the print bed. Maybe there were air bubbles in the adhesive that holds it to the magnet?

I also observed that my parts were sticking so aggressively that as they cooled and warped, they were lifting the mat, and it seems permanently deformed if you look at it from the bottom side.

Am I alone here? Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else this quickly?
What do you think I should try to keep this from happening in the future?

No ‘bubbles’ for me yet… but I can see some definite wear marks where the 3/4 priming circle is being printed, and some other blemishes from another print where I think the nozzle calibrated too close to the mat, and it got it a wee bit too warm. I had really good adhesion for the first few prints, but it doesn’t seem as good now. I’ve tried wiping it down with isopropyl alcohol thinking that would help if there was any oil or contaminants on it, but it didn’t seem to be helping for this particular print. Then again, ambient temperature is a bit lower now, so that probably isn’t helping either.

It’s basically a buildtak on a magnetic surface. It’s going to wear out but not as fast as 4 prints. Do you think changing your z-offset on the first layer will change anything?

Well, it’s a softer surface than the steel plate, so it definitely would trigger the FSRs slightly differently. I have noticed a bit more elephant foot than usual. That does add up. I’ll have to give that a try.

After attempting a few moderate sized prints, I decided to go back to using my tried-and-true glass plate with hair spray. I was having a hard time getting my PLA prints to finish without warpage. I could never get my first layer to look good, and it appeared that the leveling system was not doing as accurate a job as compared to using the glass plate. If it is indeed similar to BuildTak then I probably will have to adjust my z-offset to squish the first layer down more…when I have the time and inclination I will experiment with that.

got the same issue as Jim.

Prints stick well… had some warping without a raft and it creates bubbles.

I will go back to the glass plate too

Please comment on your results… I’m hearing some major dragging noises from the nozzle when doing infill which I havn’t experienced before when using the glass plate. I’m using cura2, latest flux studio, machine and toolhead firmware. I haven’t changed my filament, still using Flux PLA at the moment. I’ve never had to change the z-offset before, and am wondering what has changed that is making me want to do so, but just in relation to infill. I’d roll back my flux studio to a 0.6 series to see if it’s something there, but I’ve done the extruder and camera upgrade, so am unsure what will happen if I go back to a earlier version. I do sort of wonder if the z-axis calibration was tweaked taking the buildtak sponginess into account, which has made it worse on a rigid (glass) plate? Your thoughts?

I’ve got the nozzle dragging on infill with both the glass plate and with the magnetic build surface. Using FS 0.8.0 with the latest firmware and Cura2 slicer. I went into the advanced settings and changed the infill width from 0.4 to 0.2 and that seems to help eliminate the dragging. Still playing around with the system to narrow down the cause, since I have all these new variables what with FS/firmware upgrade as well as the hardware upgrade performed today.

Was that the Infill_Sparse_Thickness variable under Expert? I’ve still got to try that… I did a reset of settings, and a minor z-offset wasn’t doing much, so now it’s Infill_Sparse_Thickness next :wink: With your infill width being 0.4 to start with, is that because your layer height was 0.4? Mine was 0.2, so was going to drop it to 0.15 and go from there…

I think it is 0.4 initially because of the nozzle diameter.

That’s what I was thinking also at first, but the Infill_Sparse_Thickness value tracks whatever you set the layer height to on the Layers tab, which is why I was wondering if that was the variable that @vegasracer changed or something else?

My layer height is 0.15. I changed the variable infill_line_width from 0.4 to 0.2. My infill_sparse_thickness is 0.15. Seems to be printing fine with these settings using Cura2 (no apparent dragging), but I only have one data point so far.

Ah ha… that makes perfect sense now! That should make it pump out less filament on the fill, and also stop my infill’o’clunk in one fell swoop :smiley: Here’s hoping anyway! :fireworks:

Hmm, infill_line_width

Report back and let us know how that worked.

While I hate seeing that everyone is having issues, there is a bit of solace in seeing that everyone is having issues…

A minor z-offset bump has made a difference for me in S3D prints, but still getting some weirdness in FS direct, haven’t tried it there yet.

That ‘infill’o’clunk’ dragging/clunking thing seems to be common to everyone so it is definitely not something we all could have mistakenly changed collectively at the same time. The weirdest part is how it goes back to printing shells and supports just fine and then just goes all to hell again on infill, then back to normal.

Sorry your thread got hijacked Jim, but this is what we were talking about in the other thread too. Not so much a slicer fault, I don’t think, but something in machine calibration settings or fcode compiler got changed.

Back to your topic, I haven’t seen my plate squishing like that or any bubbles yet, but I did make a mention already that we received no care instructions for the mag plate. I have a bit of ‘ghosting’ on mine from the weird problems described above, I did give it a quick wipe with some iso alcohol and that removed some of it and seemed to kind of restore it a bit. It looks cleaner anyway.

There was also one post about rods popping off and nozzle burning a hole in it so that is something else to be concerned about. I don’t think unattended prints with the mag plate will ever be a good idea.

Like others, I’m switching back and forth between glass and mag plate. Mag when I want to be lazy and don’t need great surface finish. Glass when I need premium quality.

Indeed… never leave attended if you can’t be sure your print head won’t fall off… else you’ve have a nice melted hole in your nice print mat! :frowning: At least the glass print bed will just sit there. Then again, the accelerometer in the print head be able to give feedback for “you know what… I’m not usually supposed to work when I’m on my side, so I think I’ll just turn the heat off!” :wink: Although I suspect that’s what the “shake” mechanism is supposed to help detect, but is a bit to antsy about it for some of us.

“tilt”

I suppose if FLUX were to hire you, the machine would have a lot more creativity in part names. :joy:

I never got any bubbles, maybe your’s was defected, but… you don’t want to even look at my mat! prints took pieces of the top part off the mat and now I have a huge triangle, and i have dents of every print I ever did after I got that hole because it couldn’t calibrate the z-axis properly due to the part which got torn off(from the middle(so then I started the nerve cutting quest of finding the z offset in the expert settings, then just find out it was at the very end of the settings! thenI had to find the right value but then I thought it would be fun to make crazy first layers so I did that forever then I went back to 0.7mm offset!)). and I have a thousand holes every square CM because the tool head shot 230 degrees of heat onto the mat which made it look like ugly melted chocolate because I had the rods popping out randomly! but then the problem just went away, and that marked the end of the HolesInPrintMatic ERA! but then it came back for 5 prints then never showed it’s face on the print mat ever again! and then I started the journey of asking flux support through email for a print mat($16) and they tell me that their PayPal is being reviewed since the 19th of April and I continue the long awaited wait for a reply… and so the journey continues.

I think I over exaggerated that toooo much(the mat is still ugly).

lol… well, you can disable checks for shake and tilt, and I was thinking of the shake of the rods detaching before it tilts excessively. I know it is uses accelerometers so it really just detects XYZ orientation, so they must be looking for more than usual oscillation in the movement. But yeah, if I worked for them, I’d come up with better names than heat whatever :stuck_out_tongue: .

yup, it doesn’t tilt much / no tilt. it kept on tell me tilt detected, but it never tilted… so disabled the error check thing in preference! my mat still looks like melted chocolate but the printer works like a charm.

My magnetic surface alredy broke…a little piece of the black surface came out…