FLUX Studio verson 0.3.13 (running on Mac OS X 10.11.5)
Flux Delta firmware 1.1.7
Flux toolhead firmare 1.2.1
I have found that the laser engraving output is slightly but noticeably inaccurate compared to what the output should be based on what I'm seeing in FLUX Studio. This is true for both the alignment of the engraving as well as its size, compared to the source file.
I produced the test case below to demonstrate what I'm talking about.
Here is what I see in Studio:
Note the following:
* the height of 94.6mm is based on the height of the wooden square onto which I am engraving, measured with a vernier caliper
* the top edge of the bounding rectangle is aligned (to the best of my ability) with the top edge of the second row of squares above the highest horizontal dark line in the grid
* the right edge of the bounding rectangle is aligned (to the best of my ability) with the rightmost vertical dark line in the grid
* in photoshop, the source image also has a height of 94.6mm, matching the wooden square. The distance from the right edge of the bounding box in photoshop to the nearest edge of the right-hand "V" shape is 3.5 mm. The distance from the top & bottom of the bounding box & the horizontal lines is 4.0 mm in each case.
Based on all of the above, the output on the wooden square should be the same as what is shown in FLUX Studio, provided I am aligning the wooden square properly on the metal grid.
Here is what I get instead:
The bars along the top & right are magnets, which I use to ensure that I am placing the wooden square precisely. It may not be apparent due to the photo quality, but rest assured that the edges of the magnets are placed along the corresponding lines on the grid as accurately as possible.
As you can see just by visual inspection, the distance separating the top horizontal line from the top edge is not the same as the distance between the bottom horizontal line and the bottom edge. Specifically, the discrepancies are as follows:
* the distance from top edge to the top line is 3.0 mm, i.e. the vertical displacement is 1.0 mm less than what it should be (4.0 mm)
* the distance between the bottom edge and the bottom line is 4.2 mm, i.e. the vertical displacement is 0.2 mm greater than what it should be (4.0 mm)
* the distance between the right edge and the nearest edge of the "V" shape on the right is 3.2 mm, i.e. the horizontal displacement is 0.3 mm less than what it should be (3.5 mm)
The most confusing aspect of these discrepancies is that the displacement on the top is not equal to the displacement on the bottom. In other words, if the entire image were simply being displaced upward on the Y axis by a fixed distance, e.g. 1.0 mm, you would expect that to yield an output distance of 1.00 mm less than 4.00 mm between the top edge & the top line, or 3.00 mm, as is the case here, and you would expect the same amount of displacement on the bottom, i.e. from 4.0 mm to 5.0 mm. But this is not the case; instead of a displacement of 1.0 mm we find a displacement of only 0.2 mm. Therefore, not only is the image displaced, but the aspect ratio is slightly off as well.
Furthermore, these discrepancies aren't consistent from engraving to engraving. On a different engraving, with a height of 120 mm, I found vertical discrepancies of 1.8 mm on the top and 0.8 on the bottom, and a horizontal displacement of 1.5 mm.
So a displacement of the entire image in either the horizontal or vertical planes is not a sufficient explanation, which is unfortunate, because that would be easy to correct for. There must be some error in the way the toolhead or the machine is rendering the input it is receiving from FLUX Studio, which is resulting in displacement as well as aspect ratio inaccuracies for the engraving output.
Please note that I don't know whether the same errors would occur in the latest FLUX Studio software version (0.3.18) because I am getting a connection error with the FLUX Delta that doesn't happen with 0.3.13, which prevents me from engraving anything at all.