Laser calibration chart

Question… how do I go about using the calibration chart in the Engrave section of Flux Studio? Once I engrave it on my material of choice, with the material thickness entered into the appropriate place, how do I use the information from the engraved chart?

Are you talking about the little metal plate with the checkerboard pattern on it? That’s actually a calibration target for the scanner.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear… in FS 0.8.1 you can load a calibration chart in the Engrave module that is loaded into the virtual print area and sliced into fcode. It’s a pattern of horizontal lines with numbers along the left edge running from -2.5 to +2.5 but I don’t know what units they are if any. Just wanted to know, once I got it engraved, what do I do with it? Is there an adjustment that must be made to parameters in FS? Does it have to do with laser focus? Shading of image?

I think he’s talking about the built-in default calibration chart that it asks if you want to load when you select the Engrave module in FS.

But that’s all I know, as far as how to use it, I have no clue either. It engraves a range from -2.0 to +2.0 in .2 increments, but is that Movement Speed or Laser Power?

I think the idea is to select the line that looks best on the material and then use that setting, but which setting is it?

BTW, if it doesn’t ask if you want to load the chart, just click Advanced when in the Engrave module and there is a button to load the calibration chart, but absolutely no help or instruction on what to do with it. There are only two settings it could be though right?

Ah, cool. I guess I’d know that if I plugged in my laser more than once :slight_smile:

I’ve done a lot of laser cutting, but very little engraving. I assume that you’d want to adjust the power and speed until you got a clean gradient that was as “wide” as possible. In other words, you’d want to be able to tell a difference between 1% and 5% on the low end of the scale, and you wouldn’t want 100% char to start too early at the other end of the scale. The goal would be to stretch out the variable range as much as possible.

Does that make sense? I’m not sure if I put the right words on what I’ve got in my head :slight_smile:

As much variation as possible across the line? And you don’t want low to start late, or high to start early? Does that about sum it up @Jimustanguitar?

Don’t feel bad, I didn’t know either until I went into the Engrave module and it popped up.

You and @pfeerick, and I are saying the same thing, and in the Advanced Settings for Engraving the only two options you do get are Movement Speed and Laser Power. That’s it, that is what you can adjust, both are on sliders but you can also type an absolute number in the box.

I’m afraid we have not answered @vegasracer question though, as to how the information gleaned from the calibration chart is supposed to be applied to settings. For example, you print the chart on a piece of the material, and the -0.2 line just looks perfect. Great! So, what do you adjust? Where do you put the -0.2 in settings?

I’m kind of hoping @proclaim or someone from FLUX Team or another Engraver weighs in on this one, because we are a bunch of printerheads fumbling around for an answer. (Most likely just because it said laser in the title :smile:, like moths to a flame)

I’m going to piggyback off of this and hopefully someone can help me.

I recently came back to using my FLUX Delta (the original, not +) and I have a few problems so far.
The calibration chart you guys are all talking about doesn’t even load when I click the option, and I don’t know what to do about it.

My other issue, so far, is that whenever I try and import svg. files for the drawing head, it goes into a perpetual loading, and doesn’t even get to the preview.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I’ll also make my own help request as well.

Thank you

Which version of the software and firmware are you currently running (since you’ve been away for awhile)?

I updated everything (studio, toolhead firmware, and FLUX firmware) to the most recent version.
I even tried a different computer and I couldn’t get it to load a calibration image. It was able to render a file, but when it went to run, the engraver just pushed itself onto the plate and disconnected from the magnetic arms. I’ve been away for so long that I can remember how I ever got it to run in the first place.