Flux Delta Upgrade Experiences

Print after the upgrade kit… no bad but could use some more tweaking.

any recommendations are welcome :wink:

I am no engineer.

I followed the videos. It was not nearly as tough as I thought it would be. My laser poles where damaged so I did not do that step.

The new extruder was fairly simple.

I am running a test print now with the default settings. So far there is no clunking which is nice!

I had some extuder noise and the problem was not what I thought… after installing a filement oiler again it went away.

My guess is too much friction in the tube leading from the motor to the head.

PTFE tubing should be pretty ‘slick’. You could try the new capricorn low friction bowden tubes if you think that’s an issue.

I’m still not a believer in oil. Some people will swear by it, but it just seems like it’s treating symptoms instead of causes, in my opinion. I’ve put a lot of spools through a lot of deltas, and extrusion trouble almost always proves to be temperature or speed related from what I’ve seen.

Not a believer in oil either as I was not using it for a while now…

Don’t think it is the temp did tests ranging from 190 to 200.

And it is not the speed probably as I went a low as 30ish mm/s and it was still making noises.

With the oiler I can print at up to 60 mm/s.

I guess I will see if I can get one of those tubes you mentioned.

I used to have some issues pre upgrade kit but I could print fine at like 50ish mm/s without an oiler.

@Jimustanguitar I liked your Moai video. Curious to see what else will come :slight_smile:

Turn the temp up higher than that. If you’re having trouble, see how high you can go. I regularly print at 215 or 220. Thermistors will vary by 5-10% and everybody’s measurement will be slightly different, filaments get finicky with different humidities, etc. so don’t be scared to crank it up. I don’t give up on a material unless I’m at 230 and hit the limit on the machine for that particular material.

Thanks for the compliment on the video. It was rushed, done with free equipment, and involved a very late night and a couple adult beverages :slight_smile: I’ll definitely be making several changes before the next one, but I hope I did enough to help out Moai Mark before it was too late.

So I removed the filament oiler and led the filament “load” at 220 for a bit… this is what append after a few min. Same thing basicly that it does sometimes during printing. Any ideas?

filament once unloaded.

might put the old extruder gear in and see if it does the same…

edit: well using the old extruder gear is not an option as it is to big for use with the rest of the upgrade.

moving the new extruder gear further outwards does not work either as then the screw hits the “loading shaft”

cleaned the gear and as long as I don´t press down on the plate for faster loading it does not do it now… time to try a print I guess.

Do you have any filament extrusion? Sounds like there is some restriction further down in the path or the nozzle is not hot enough.

Installed my upgrade kit this afternoon. Smooth sailing… installed everything except the laser towers since I don’t use the scanner and I took both of the old towers out when they started popping up. I’ve printed two models since the install and other than the nozzle dragging issue discussed in several other threads, I’m happy with the result.

yes I do… did try a print yesterday using flux studio and cura 2 no extruder noise but the print failed as it did not stick to the glas plate.

Hello, What I noticed after the upgrade, I get more clunking sounds from the feeder. I have tried adjusting the extruder multiplier, down to 0.95 , and added the oil/filter back. It helped, but still get the clunk sound, which I did not have before. Any ideas?

nope unfortunately not… I have not totally solved it yet either… with or without oiler.
I will try some more tonight.
Should I not find a solution I might have to remove the upgrade and try with the original pieces.

I am actually at the point that I regret installing the upgrades… The magetic build plate seemed great at first but it developed issues, same thing with the extruder upgrade at the moment :frowning:

Fix one problem… create another… such is life! :stuck_out_tongue: :facepalm: (what… no emoji?)

I did everything at once. Upgraded the machine (extruder, cables, etc all but the scanner poles) updated the firmware and using 0.8.0, I accept the default settings the prints are as good as the ones I was getting when the machine was new.

I am using some Polymaker PolyPLusPLA I had one print fail because the filament snapped.

I have had 2 prints of fair quality ( still can’t seem to make circles or ovals nicely)
Another print failed due to lack of supports.

The quality is much better than previous. Less noise, no knocking. Clean first layer (raft etc) Sticks well to the magnetic build plate. (Sometimes tough to remove the small bits from the supports.

It is not great but it is much better than me not being able to use it at all because of extreme warping issues leading to 100% print failures.

I had finished my upgrade, but I have a question what is the reason of the rubber for the nozzle, maybe this a newbie question, but I have no idea the about what this achieve?

Also the if the rubber is touching the nozzle this will not melt? I don’t know how much temperature the rubber can support.

Just guessing, but probably to help add a barrier between the nozzle and air blowing back from the cooling fans. It will be some high temperature rubber, like silicone rubber, which is good for up to 300c.

Anyone having issues with the upgraded camera module rotated 90 degrees? I have change the settings in FS but its still rotated

Yes, a few of have had that. Try restarting both the Delta and Flux Studio… that should cure it. :wink:

The rubber is very important that it will prevent hot PLA climbing into the printhead from the outside (which usually happens when a print detached from build plate and stuck on the nozzle). It’s a must have.

That did the trick thanks!