Flexible Filamenet

I tried few flexible filaments on the Flux but was unable to load. The print head motor does not grab the filament at the toolhead.

Wondering anyone had success?

Thank you

Sha.

There’s been a few threads about flexible filament. Apparently, the Flux and many other printers, can’t print flexible filament because the feeder is so far away from the extruder. In order for flexible filament to work, the feeder has to be right next to the extruder head.

So, there’s pretty much no way for it to work right now. It would require a new extruder head that has a feeder built into it.

I’m hoping a new extruder tool head that is friendly for flexible filament is in the works, or at least planned. Looks like there’s interesting options for a dual extruder mentioned in other threads, and that gives me hope for flexible.

In the meantime, you can get flexible parts by printing a mold and using a castable urethane, like REOFLEX or similar:

Cheers!

They have done it before so I see no reason why it can’t be done again.

"8.
Sometimes you have to be soft to conquer the most unyielding. This filament creates flexible, yet strong prints. You can easily think of so many utilization of it, such as anti-vibration mounting, pieces that need to withstand pressure or even just for fun!

To print with flexible material smoothly, remember the following points. Since it is flexible, you cannot print it with high speed in case it bends before the bowden tube. Also because it is relatively soft and tends to drop without support, we do not recommend to use this filament to print models with too much overhang.

This is such a fun filament that can bring more possibilities to your Flux, and we will keep trying more flexible filament to find the best one for you!"

@Simon @Hunter can you provide additional details?

Good find Foker1337 :). I hope @Simon or @Hunter can provide some more info on this.

I’m also interested on using a flexible filament, but before I buy one, I want to know how you can print with them and if the brand of the filament matter, I want to know which brand the flux team used to made the tests prints?

Nice find! I can use that right now! I hope this is next thing!

@all,
Glad to see that you like this update, we will keep trying more for you!
The sources of the filaments are posted at forum, check it out there!

• Hunter

top comment on that update, so let’s see if someone can find the forum post for the filament sources.

Im printing a flexible octopus right now and it seems to be working fine.

Filament brand is Formfutura Flexifil colour black

Temp: 235°
Speed: Slow (under 30mm/s)

Flexible Filament

Interesting… I am curious how were you able to load the filament. For me the extruder just wont grab it. Just ticking sounds.

Did you measure the exact filament diameter? Mine has about 1.75 very exactly.

Sorry for the late reply, I somehow didn’t receive the notificaiton.
The source of the filament we used back in March. 2015 is posted in this thread.
But please be aware that these special filaments may include materials that can harm the print head.

I didn’t measure it myself :slight_smile: but thats what the manufacturer sold me as and it does work on my old original makerbor replicator dual no problem.

Some of my other metal filaments dont load either in Flux but they worked perfect on makerbot. Same 1.75

Hunter, which harms of the printhead are you talking about?

It’s just a reminder, since these filaments are not official filaments and we don’t have the information of their ingredients.
Certain materials such as carbon fiber are said to be able to accelerate nozzle wear, and I suggest being more careful when using these special filaments :wink:

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. But if i use, for an example, carbon filament, there will be much nozzle wear and then i have to change the nozzle from time to time. But are there some other materials in the printhead, which are in danger by using the abrasive filaments?

Hello. I looked up some information regarding that filament and it says it requires only 210º C to be used. I ask, did you try these settings with the printer? I have a MatterHackers’ Soft PLA and the only thing I was able to do was extrude it during the filament loading. After it cools down apparently it doesn’t get affected any further and no more material will come out… Anyways, could you upload the specific settings used for this print? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I was able to print flexible filament last night on my Flux Delta. For me, the key was adjusting the temp, speed and the z-offset.

temp = 230c
speed = 20mm everywhere
z-offset = 0.1

As far as feeding, I never use the “load filament” menu. I manually feed it to start new filaments. press and hold the feed lever and then manually feed the filament. You’ll be able to see it slide down the tube and in to the extruder. I’ve been doing this for all of my PLA. It allows me to change colors midway through a print as well. Just pause and change.

Thanks for that list, @Hunter (March Update #2 Filament Source)

The #8 “Flexible PLA” is what interests me. It’s NinjaFlex brand Semiflex filament, which I happen to have some. :slight_smile:

From the FennerDrives.com web site settings for Semiflex:
PRINTING GUIDELINES:

• Print Temperature Target: 230 (Range 225-235)
  • Print Bed Temperature: Ambient to 40C.
  • Print Bed Preparation: No special preparation is required.
  • Print Speed:
  • Top and bottom layers: 10-20mm/
  • Infill speeds: 15mm/s – 35mm/s
  • Cooling Fans: ON if available