Filament Oiler/Filter

Curious to see your pictures and/or the STL file that you came up with.

@Simon

Hello,

I have ben getting a lot of clicking, so I unloaded the filament. I tried to load again, and the filament would not load. I disconnected the tube that connects from the top of the printer to the print head just to see if clicking occurs. As soon as I did this and tried to load, no more clicking. I let it go for about 5 ft. of filament and no clicking. I then rewound the filament and reconnected the tube from the print head to the top to the printer, and the clicking started. It seems that the filament is getting hung up with the connector that connects the tube to the top of the printer. I have the oiler/filter installed as recommended.

Any fixes for this?

Thanks

Brian

I had occasional clicking sounds when my filament spool was in horizontal position. When I changed my filament setup because I wanted to use bigger spools and I started using a vertical spool holder without any guide tube from the spool to the extruder input, my occasional clicking stopped and I can print at fast speeds. From my experiences, I can say:

1. There is an issue with the design of the filament trajectory and a vertical spool-holder stops the clicking (at least in my case).
  2. I also noticed that feeding the filament manually is not always successful, occasional miss-feeds can still cause clicking, for that reason when changing filaments, I make sure to insert and push the filament all the way to the tool-head.
    With these 2 steps, I no more have clicking and I am printing at speeds of 50 to 60 so far.

Is this problem solved,? Came across the same. Set in advanced setting the first layer temperature to 220 but first layer was printed with 205 degrees, 5 degrees higher than print temperature…

So yesterday I was doing an 11+ hour print, one of my longest prints. In the past I have had a lot of trouble with the feeder, it would not grab the filament at all, but after adjusting the position of the “wheel” on the stepper motor, it has gotten better, but I still have the clonking noise, It does not seem to effect the final print, as far as I can see, but it is very noisy.
I made a video last night just before going to bed.
https://goo.gl/photos/BeyFcJgfVnuaAscY9

As you can see I have an oiler that i put some WD40 into, and it seems to help a bit.

Don’t use standard WD40, it is very corrosive, and not a good lubricant.

Really? It’s marketed and listed as “anti-corrosive”

WD-40 is a corrosion preventer for metal; as the name indicates, it’s a water-displacement compound, which coats the material to prevent water and oxygen from getting to it, preventing oxidation (aka ‘rusting’, aka ‘corrosion’). It’s also a petroleum derivative, which means that it can act as a solvent for other petroleum products, eating plastic(a different type of ‘corrosion’). The WD-40 company tries to keep their products from dissolving the material it’s sprayed on, but there are so many things that people use it for that testing every possible target material is a lost cause.

It is a rust inhibitor, not a good lubricant for 3d printers, at least the normal wd40. Ask any machinist, they will tell you not a good lubricant, just good for rust prevention., Corrosive, maybe not the best choice of words, I was meaning very strong, to remove rust, I would not use it on my printer.

Time will tell. I have been using WD40 since I got the machine (six months already) and so far nothing bad has happened. No jams or blockages. I’ll let you all know if it kills my machine.

@Eldaria, I find it difficult to get rid of all the clunking noise, which I think is caused mainly by the partial obstruction of the nozzle while printing. In your video it is about 4 or 5 clunks per layer, or 5-8 sec per clunk if I remember right. That may be on the high side for that size of layer. Try to increase the temperature by about 5C and see if it makes a change, you can also try to decrease or increase the speed by 5mm/s but one change at a time, while documenting the result. Also use the same print to make a good comparison (slicing engine may also affect although I have no proof for that yet). If you change the filament, clunking may change also. I don’t use an oiler since in my case it did not help. I found speed and temperature are the main issue, I also have the filament roll on top of the machine, feeding vertically.

Not to hijack the thread, but… Let’s not let this conversation devolve into a debate about WD40. Been there, done that :slight_smile: