Feature Requests - Poll

Right, so, at the no so subtle request of @BoozeKashi… this thread is being created in the hope of collating features requests in such a fashion that it will help the Flux guys out by letting them know what features the community most wants… or simply how crazy and addicted their supporters are… without the expense of any focus groups! :laughing: :laughing:

So, how I hope this will run is that I can create a series of polls in the space below, and people can vote on what they want to see appear in the next versions of the software and of the hardware. I then hope to be able to edit (as in add) the choices on the poll as we go, so you can comment below on things you’d like, and I can then add that to the poll. If that doesn’t work, this thread can instead be a collection of suggestions for entries for a poll. Anyway, lets get on with the show.

Oh, before I get ahead of myself… please not this does not necessarily mean we’ll get these features… because some of them are too problematic due to logistical and legal red-tape reasons, but it shouldn’t and won’t stop us from dreaming and hoping! :smiley: :smiley:

Flux Studio / Software

Feature I want the most:

• Show current layer on dashboard
  • Allow layer(s) to pause at to be set from dashboard
  • Simpler sending of GCODE to the printer (i.e. scriptable / command line tool)

0 voters

Second place feature:

0 voters

Third place feature:

0 voters

Flux Delta / Hardware

Feature I want the most:

• Higher temperature print head (300-400C)
  • Higher power laser (i.e. 5W)
  • Heat bed (i.e. 110C)
  • Support for direct USB control via software like Cure or S3D

0 voters

Second place feature:

• Heat bed (i.e. 110C)

0 voters

Third place feature:

• Heat bed (i.e. 110C)

0 voters

Can you please add accelleration an jerk support.

Either that we can edit them in Flux studio or that the Cura 2.x accelaration is supported.

When I say Flux Studio, give as a window were we can change them and save them to firmware.

Another thing I would like to see is support for some other missing g or m codes… like changing flow rate at certain layer heights, which is not supported either if I remember correctly.

I see both as some essential tuning possibilities.

And thanks for making that poll :smiley:

can you add better print quality stuff?

Ok, so it looks like I can’t edit the poll options after it’s been live for 5 minutes… understandable… I was wondering how it was going to manage the options being changed and not loosing track of who’d voted for what.

So, what I’ll do is leave this poll as it stands, and move to suggestions for mk2. :wink:

@Tiwaz So far I have these up for addition as choices… does that make enough sense?

@aw1 Sure, better print quality stuff will end up there… but for a poll to be of any use it needs to be specific… so an option of ‘better print quality’ isn’t going to get us far… especially since that is what everyone wants out of every printer (that and faster prints)! :stuck_out_tongue:

Flux Delta / Software

• Support for acceleration and jerk settings (Cura2 style)
  • Standalone resettable maintenance notification when machine has been operating for more than X hours so we remember to lubricate the rods, joint every X hours.

Flux Delta / Hardware

• SD card slot on the front for direct fcode / gcode printing. USB autoprint is nice, but SD would be even nicer.
  • Simple control panel for the machine… either on the machine, or as a plug in remote.
  • Faster print speeds without loss of quality (pipedream?)
  • Larger print volume variations (300d x 400h or 400dx 500h at least)
  • Get rid of the internal spool holder (you can always make it a storage compartment!!) and supply a clip-on reel holder.
  • Second USB port on the front for flash drive access (leave the second one around the back for tethered access)

Flux Delta / Firmware

• List of supported G-CODE parameters and any non-standard commands supported, with any peculiarities or non-standard responses documented
  • Open up printer firmware (or is that going to be too proprietary??)

Any more so I can make a poll out for the machine firmware?

More things that would be great

1. SD card slot
  2. Direct control panel on the machine (simple lcd with wheel or touch screen)

ooh wow! thats what i was just thinking about!

I would say better filament and fewer skin disorders! I have no skin disorders with S3D,
for speed, i would say motors which can maintain good precision even at high speeds :wink:

Surprised that a better print hour log wasn’t on the list.
Or at least a way to ‘reset’ it after a clean/re-lubercation was done.
(having a total number of hours on the machine might still is a good idea).

its there in the toolhead info already

@aw1 However isn’t resetable, and doesn’t account for machine maintenance when swapping between tool heads. What I think Mattman’s after is a resettable global maintenance notification… ie. after 100 of use, whether it be drawing, lasering or printing, lubricate the rods again.

@Mattman I’m surprised you’d think I’d think of everything! :stuck_out_tongue: Yes, that is indeed needed. It needs to be separate from the toolhead log though as that tracks the toolhead usage over it’s lifetime. Did you see the post @moejetz made about the reminder tool he made?

@all This plus all the other ideas will make it in the v2 of the poll. I think at the rate we’re going it will be safe to set friday as the deadline for suggestions

Was thinking about #2 a bit more @Tiwaz …I think that is where the guys are heading with the iOS/andoid apps, as that lets you pause or stop the printer, and I’m pretty sure you can already start prints form the app also if it has already been uploaded to the Delta. It’s good, but it’s not as good as a hardwired display + control that lets you just pick a file and start it, and see some stats about where the printer is at.

Plus ‘intelligent’ touchscreens are getting pretty cheap now… the NX one that my Trinus uses is around $20 on eBay, and is a pressure touch colour LCD, and can talk to the printer in serial using g-code, and the display firmware is updated via a on microSD card slot (hence why some intrepid guys over on that forum are designing their own interface for the printer now instead of the stock one :wink: )

@aw1 Better filament (better how?)

Skin disorders probably comes down to the slicer settings in Flux studio… something is still off for your environment and filament. It’s probably best to keep talking about this in the other threads until an actual actionable suggestion can be developed.

As far a speed… the motors are probably accurate enough, but it’s going to be the rest of the system that lets it down… if the head starts moving to fast there is a chance you jerk the rods right out of their magnetic sockets. And remember all the talk about the slide bearings going wonky? The Delta probably isn’t fast a high print resolutions, but it is way faster than my Trinus for the same layer height and line width settings. But we always want faster prints, so what the heck… it’ll go in the list. However, I do think the response would be “Want faster prints as the same or better resolution… forget FDM printers and get a SLA printer!!!”

:joy:! anyway by filament I mean listen to makersMuse and get a better PLA supply.

I would like a re settable hour meter, so that once you do your maintenance you can reset. I understand they may want a variable that has total hours, all we need is a second variable that is resettable…

Thank you sir for creating this :wink: Exactly what was needed.

Great suggestions by all, I wouldn’t put a closing date or a deadline on anything though, just kind of keep it open as a living thread and as things evolve, new polls can be created. The things we print, and the ways and styles we print them in are always evolving, our machines should evolve with us.

I absolutely love the idea of an SD card slot and while we’re at it, add another USB slot and put them both on the front of the machine so they are accessible. Keep the other USB in back to have tethered connection.

I agree that LCD panel may be moot if the app gets developed to the point where it could become a replacement, but LCD panels are pretty cheap, looking at things like Astroprint it wouldn’t take much to add a panel, especially if it were wired in.

The total hour meter, and maintenance counter has been on the request list since forever, but yes, definitely keep it on the front burner here. As you said, needs to be at machine level, not just tool head level. When that happens an actual indicator can then be added into FLUX Studio or the blink code of the front panel lights to let users know that “Service Due”. That may go a very long way toward resolving or avoiding print quality issues.

We all want more speed, but not at the sacrifice of quality. As it is right now, the Delta/+ can be cranked up to fairly fast speeds but quality will begin to suffer at a certain point. I do not think there is much more that can be done to push the speed much further without causing more problems than any potential gains.

In addition to a Printing Only FLUX Model with a higher temp hotend and heated build plate, I would like to see it be physically larger so it has a bigger build volume. 300x400 & 400x500 machines are becoming commonplace and FLUX needs to keep pace.

And one more thing… Spool holder and get rid of that damn hole at the top.

No, no deadline… I’m just thinking sometime Friday - Sunday before I take all the suggestions and do the v2 poll. Maybe… or perhaps leave it for another week… don’t want to go too crazy with these polls. In the meantime, I keep updating my post above with the text that will go in the next iteration of the poll.

Yeah, I’d let it ride for a while. Some folks only login here once a week or so anyway. And no point in you killing yourself making polls. Just a periodic update maybe once a month or two is more than enough. Especially as things start to gel, there won’t be too many change requests.