Faceted Circular Object

Can anyone advise on the settings needed to get a proper circular print.
Whenever I try to print a cylinder the result is a faceted surface not smooth and round.
I’ve tried changing the slicing engine and selected high quality but to no avail.
I expect there are some other settings in the Advanced/Expert tab but I have no idea what to change.

The facets are from whatever program created the round part. Every CAD program outputs line segments to for curves, so you have to configure it to use more segments when you export your part as an STL file.

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the info and will check out the output from the CAD program.
I was neively thinking that if the CAD program showed a clean round object on the screen then the print should be good, its all a bit of a learning curve at the moment.

Are you trying to do anything using CAD? As far as I know Cad is a good one for 3D.

I’m using Design Spark at the moment but was using Google Sketchup but the free version of that prog is now only useable on line which is no good for me.

When you do an export in DSM, you can click on options, and select different quality levels there.

Many thanks Jim. I did a test and you were spot on.
My fault was to assume all the quality was derived from Flux Studio and not the design prog.
The only increase in time was about 2 seconds but then the test was a only small sample.

I know a thing or two about DesignSpark :slight_smile:

Wow, that looks so much easier than Tinkercad. If only there was a MacOS version. :disappointed:

Hi Jim,

I’ve seen a few video tutorials for DSM but I cannot find anything that adequately covers locating a pattern of holes in an object.
I would like to locate the centre of the holes relative to each other and at the required distance from either one edge or the centre but I cannot find the method to use? This is so I can position the holes for a bulkhead socket such as an SO 239.

I’ve used Sketchup in the past and with that prog you can lay out come construction lines, as you would do on the drawing board, then locate the holes at the cross points, but DSM does not seem to have that capability.

There’s not a “powerful” way to do this, per se. If you’re trying to find the center of existing circular objects, you can project them to the current drawing and use the 3-point circle tool to connect their center points.

If you’re trying to generate multiple objects from a center point, you can either draw one of them and use the move tool to create a pattern, or you can draw a polygon from that center point and use that as your ‘construction’ geometry and delete it later…

You can also right click on a straight line and turn it into a mirror line.

Another option is to draw a crosshair and use the offset tool to space the objects you want.

Thanks again Jim.

After posting that message I engaged brain and sorted out a method which, I hope, will suffice in what I need to do.
Initially I was a bit fixated on the method I use in Sketchup which is not possible in DSM.
I find that accurate positioning using the mouse is difficult or nigh on impossible so wanted to type in the dimensions.
Using the move tool allows entering the required dimension but unless you start from a know reference adding that dimension is pointless.
So the method I will use is to use the snap to grid option and use the grid to position a centre point relevant to the x and y coordinates, then if I need to move less than 1 mm I’ll use the move tool where I can add a typed in dimension.
Anyway I’ll try the method you referred to as well.

Cheers mate.
J.