Dry layers and Noise from feeder

We were part of the group that supported the Flux Delta Plus on KickStarter. We received the printer in the summer but were too busy to set it up until now.

Our main problem now is that the feeder is making noises and we have dry layers. In the very first print included in the tutorial the model was about half finished before the dry layers started. In subsequent attempts the dry layers are immediate. Although I did find similar topics in this forum we cannot find specifics on how to adjust settings or diagnose the problem.

In the official troubleshooting guide it says to loose(loosen) the filament. More details would be helpful. So we are now here looking for help.

I have managed to get the software working on both Linux and windows but in Linux only with USB not WIFI. I think that I can succeed if I open the ports that I noticed Flux Studio opened in Windows but for now we are using Flux Studio on Windows 10.

We were unable to find a manual for Flux Studio so we are not sure how to fine tune the settings. I have removed the tube and fed the filament through to see how much resistance there is but I don’t really know how easily the filament should slide through. I could adjust the speed and/or temperature but I haven’t seen a guide showing the proper temps or upper and lower limits etc.

Any type of detailed info would be much appreciated.

By dry layers do you mean that there is little or no filament coming out of the hot end and it’s causing the print to miss printing layers?

If so it could be a number of problems but you might have a slightly clogged nozzle so I would try cleaning it out with a needle of something and seeing if that helps.

I’ve been using an Oiler to clean the dust off the filament before it entered the printer and I haven’t had a clogged nozzle since. Let me know if that helps otherwise it could be an issue with the extruder.

Thank you for the reply. When loading the filament it flows nicely until I press the button as instructed. Is my assumption that this rules out a clogged extruder correct?

Regarding the Snap on filter I will print one as soon as I work out why my feeder isn’t feeding properly. I have read that some people have had success with a separate rack for their spool of filament. I have also read that the print speed and extruder temperature needed to be adjusted. Does anyone care to share what setting they’ve had success with on their Delta+?

What kind of filament? What temperature settings? Is your printer the Flux Plus or the Kickstarter Flux? If it’s the Kickstarter Flux, is it upgraded with the free upgrade parts? Is the “dry layering” only at first and you give up or abort the print or is it okay at first and gets dry laying later in the print?

If dry at first and assuming use of regular PLA (flux brand?) then try raising the extrusion temp by five degrees. PLA runs between 195 and 210 where I find 200 to be optimum, some brands of PLA need less and some need more. I am currently running PLA+ at 215 on both my Flux Plus and Flux Kickstarter with happy results. (It’s stronger than regular PLA but runs very dry at regular PLA temps).

There are too many variables and not enough data :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. It is white PLA Flux Brand. I haven’t changed any settings, it starts at 230 then drops to 197. Our printer is the new Flux Delta Plus(not an upgraded delta). The first print which was part of the tutorial started fine but got dry about half way through. Subsequent prints get dry after a a minute or a 1-2 mm.

I will try raising the temperature. Is there a manual for Flux Studio? How do I change the temperature settings?

Do you have an opinion on this project?(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2598831)

When you say “dry” I am guessing you mean “under extrusion” when the PLA coming out is too thin and the layers are flaky and such. That makes sense… yo are starting at a high temp, then after the first layer the temp is dropping.

There is no manual, but there are lots of helpers here.

Load in the project in Flux Studio, once it finishes slicing and before you choose to print or save it… click on advanced settings and the first screen with have your temps. Choose about 220 for the starting layer and about 200 for the rest. See if that is going to help.

I just printed this project in the last couple of weeks and I am VERY happy with the results. I printed the main structures in carbon fiber PLA. If you are going to use any third party PLA, it’s is a very clean solution to holding the spool and reducing the strain on the feed mechanism. It is not a quick print as it is many, many parts, but it was a fun project to print. the single print bearings were the best part, and the work really well. bac5788 did a great job on the design.

I’m expecting the last of the parts I need for the light apparatus to arrive today, then I can finish up that aspect.

-Lance