Big print stopped at nearly the end!

i was printing a platform jack and at the end where the screw goes was not printed and the top rods were half printed!
i have had this problem before with other prints and i just lost 100 grams of filament!

Use netfabb (old version) or Meshmixer and cut the model at the point of where it stopped if you can, then just reprint that section and glue it to the rest.

I have to ask, did you check the print preview?

Well, it should have told you it was out of filament, and given you an opportunity to load more filament in allowing you to continue the print.

Not if he unplugged and disabled the filament sensor like I did :wink:

From the sounds of it something went wrong and the Delta didnā€™t finish the printā€¦ else if it was filament runout and the sensor was disabled itā€™s user error, and we canā€™t do anything about that! :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

yep i did, thanks for the help!

shame on you flux, the filament was tangled, just noticed.

@Tiwaz i didn;t unplug it, it thought the filament was in place but in reality it wasnā€™t moving due to a tangle caused by flux i guess.

Filament tangles on the spool can happen during the winding process. It is not common, but it IS possible. The more common cause is letting the loose end fly free when you change filament. A loop can develop then, which can wind around the spool for quite a long time before it finally binds up.

The only 100% effective ways to mitigate both problems:

Make sure EVERY time you run Unload command you are holding on to the filament as it comes out of the machine and immediately take up the slack onto the spool and attach that free end with a piece of tape or a filament clip (lots of models on thingiverse). I even go one step further and trim that loose end so it is ready for reloading the next time.

When you get new spools from FLUX or anywhere else, as soon as you open them, inspect them thoroughly, check the windings, look to make sure they appear to have a back and forth pattern, and then try to keep an eye on them as you use them. Follow the same procedure as above during use, never let that loose end fly free!

As larger spools (1Kg) get down toward the last 30% or 100m the coil in the filament becomes stronger, this is when you need to do a really thorough re-inspection because if any loop snuck in from a free fly or from a bad manufacturer winding, this is when it is most likely to show up and jam a print. The best thing you can do is to rewind that last third onto an empty spool, it takes a bit of patience and committment, but it is not difficult; or if you do not want to do that, do not start any unattended or overnight prints on that spool. You need to be around to watch that one, consider it as suspect until the spool is finished.

Spool tangles are rare, but they can foul a beautiful print instantly even when you have done everything else perfectly. Just a couple filament handling practices can go a long way to avoid them.

Indeedā€¦ the facebook 3D printing group discussion on that was hilariousā€¦ some people just refuse to believe that a roll can be supplied tangledā€¦ noā€¦ it MUST be user errorā€¦ just isnā€™t possible! lol Even when that is exactly what has happened to some people! :wink:

As far as filament tanglingā€¦ since I run my reels on a large reel holderā€¦ (ie. a broomstick :stuck_out_tongue: ) they have very low friction, and it was hilarious to see that over the course of a print where I had looped the filament over that Delta slowly dragged itself across the table as it worked on untangling the spoolā€¦ yupā€¦ extruder motor had enough power to drag the delta around! :open_mouth: Damn that new gear and mechanism made it lock on to the filament well! :laughing:

I am currently in the middle of sourcing a filament supplier, so I have seen the innards of several filament factories and they are almost all using a similar mechanism that holds two spools at a time, by one side only.

When one is full, loading can be easily switched to the second spool without the rest of the machine having to stop or even slow down as the winder can take up the slack fast. Then a new empty spool is loaded while that one fills, etc. ad infinitum.

Because the spools are side mounted for quick loading and unloading it is VERY much possible for the winder to ā€˜missā€™ and drop a loop. This can and should be fixed by the operator, but it has to be done by hand the right way. The wrong way is easier, just grab the loop and flip it onto the spool and the winder will cinch up the slack. The right way is to stop the winder and pull the slack manually to take out the loop quickly (because the machine is still creating more slack) and then hit go on the winder again.

Most operators are conscientious though. I think I might not be. It is probably good that I was not born in China.

But yes, that FB group was ridiculous in how utterly flat-earth they sounded. That whole group has become quite toxic though.