3rd Party software? What has been your experience? A Noob's point of View

@Simon
Zoom and Rotate function of Flux Studio 0.3.4 response are extremely slow on window 10. So far I have no issue on firmware filament feeder; I’m printing a test model and let see the result.

I don’t have my printer right now, but when I get home I will try it too.
Just a note, if doesn’t work that command, maybe we can also try M106 S0 because I think Flux is using RepRap Firmware and the M107 code was deprecated.

Thanks for guide me on the right way.

@jared Hey dude…was you able to get Mosaic to work with the flux?

I’ve actually have one hell of a time trying to get the calibration to work because the flux has been doing some funky things of late. The nozzle was clogged, fixed that with a 0.3mm drill. Recently I have been getting the nozzle diving into the build plate so I was going through a full maintenance process to clean the build plate and relubricate the arms.

For those that aren’t quite familiar with the Palette, the calibration process is what determines what the Palette should be outputting in relation to what the printer is extruding. So if I’m unable to print consistently, then I won’t get accurate colour changes.

With my Palette, I have successfully calibrated on 2 different printers at work and have used the Palette on prints there. (The benefit of being the engineer in charge of the manufacturing process, that and getting a custom coloured Palette)

The battle still continues and once I work out the bugs on the flux side, I’ll be able to work on calibration.

I watch the tutorial videos on you site about how to install the palette and were very interesting how the palette combine the different filaments, and the calibration process to accomplish that. I hope the problems you have will resolve.

Did the M107 or M106 S0 work for you?, because I tried yesterday with my printer and didn’t work for me.

Here my end script and it works
G91
G1 E-20 F300
M104 S0
M106 S0
G90
M84

In addition, the fans will be turned off after 5 min on my printer.

Thanks it works, is strange because I tested the command M106 S0 and didn’t work. But what I thinks make the difference is the place I put the command at last and didn’t work but before the command G90 it works.
Thanks.

So far I’ve tried 123 Design, and 3ds Max 2016. 123 Design will work, but it’s anything but intuitive. No luck with 3DS Max. Something is getting lost in the translation. It would be great if the Flux team would make a driver to use with Autodesk Print Studio. Will have a look at Simplifiy 3D, but irks me that I can’t use a professional modeling program like 3DS Max to print with.

I am happy with Sketchup and the STL add on. It has very good manifold helps as well as other plug ins.

Another Scatsup plugin that’s useful is called Cleanup3. It can do a nice job of repairing damaged meshes and fixing shapes with inside out triangles, etc.

What is the best software for mac for making more advanced pieces.

I need to make something that will thread together for assembly.

I designed with Pro-E and slice with Simplify3D.
I found that if i slice with Flux studio (Sli3er), the supports are a nightmare to remove,
while with simplify3D, i can easily snap off with just my fingers.

Sketchup with all the plug-ins for 3D printing. All free. And simplify3d for advanced supports and slicing. All Mac friendly.

Look at OpenSCAD for design. Lots of opensource available modules and libraries available. For threaded items I use a module called NutJob.

It looks like The Element is the offline version of Formide. If you want the web interface you use Formide, and if you prefer to work locally, use The Element.

unfortunately, Katana also requires Windows 10, so i’m out on that one…

that’s odd. i’ve printed dozens of things with my FLUX Studio soft, and all have supports broken off easily, with minor “frass” left hanging on, which just a light sanding resolves.
i’m using default settings for Supports with NO Raft.
you know you can go into Advanced in the FLUX software and change the spacing on Supports, right?

that’s the way ALL programs should be! lol

just a quick note, it’s not often a good idea to have your 3DP on a carpet like that. especially not a hard textured carpet, unless you have the printer on a heavy/sturdy surface. the reason is, with all the moving around of the extruder (especially once it gets going), the likelyhood of the movement affecting the print quality is high if not on an extremely sturdy surface.

i’ve not tried it with the FLUX yet, so i’m not sure how bad it may or may not be, but i’ve already experienced this with 2 other printers. we had one on a raised platform on a table, and the rocking back and forth of the extruder was enough that i could visibly see the unit moving in the upper half. once we put it on a more solid surface (the countertop), the swaying stopped, and we got better prints.

minimizing real-world influence as much as possible can only improve your chances at success :slight_smile:

So far I’ve had no issues related to the carpet but that does makes sense and I will keep it in mind if I begin to have distorted results. My issues were related to auto leveling and general maintenance.

in some prints, it can even contribute to the “cobweb effect” seen earlier in this thread. glad it’s not affecting you :slight_smile: