3rd Party software? What has been your experience? A Noob's point of View

I’ve got a Mac. Where’d you get Skanect?

Go to my dropbox…

This is the MAC version (untested). I am not responsible if anything goes wrong…but it shouldn’t.

I am S3D fan too. Still tuning profile that fits FLUX though. Thanks for sharing your fff, that gives a lot of help!

Have you tried the MAC version yet?

Not yet there, Speedy Gonzalez! I’m gettin old, everything takes more time these days, lol. I’ll be sure and let you know as soon as I get a chance. Family, school, and work come first. Thanks for the link though.

Okay, Slowpoke Rodriguez. We are probably in the same age bracket in heart and messing around with the FLUX takes away my age.

I guess it’s one of the perks of being disabled…so much time on my hands :slightly_smiling:

Let me know when you turn the corner, slowpoke.

Here’s my .fff file from Simplify3D. This is certainly not perfect (and this is my first experiences with S3D and my own 3D printer, but I’ve printed a bunch of small things now and blown through the filament that came with my printer). I just actually made a few tweaks to retraction that I haven’t tried in practice yet before uploading it (was getting some trails and small blobs when sitting idle and when moving across large gaps though not bad enough to mess up a print, just a waste).

Flux.fff

My Rationale

Extruder

• Retraction Speed - 1800mm/min (nabbed from another profile that was uploaded here), the default S3D gave me resulted in small blobs and trail lines

Layer

• Primary Layer Height - 0.1mm. I find print times are pretty extreme with 0.05. If you need to print something tiny, change this.
  • Outline/Perimeter Shells - S3D defaulted this to 2 when I started creating my profile. I found that I could see through to the infill and there were gaps in the shell sometimes on slopes so I increased to 3

Additions

• Use Skirt/Brim
  • Skirt Outlines - 4. S3D causes the print head to pause for a bit before it begins its initial extrude (watch for a dropped noodle of plastic when it does that in the middle of the bed) which resulted in generally getting good extrusion by the time four skirt surrounds are drawn. May need to be tweaked for smaller models that have smaller skirts.

Infill

• Internal Fill Pattern - It’s set currently to Triangular, but I also use Full Honeycomb. It depends on what sort of contact I see in the preview view of S3D for how well the fill contacts with the walls.
  • Interior Fill Percentage - My last print was the spool arm provided by Flux for 3rd party spools and I went to 20% for added strength. Most times I’m using 10 or 15%.

Support

• Max Overhang Angle - 50 deg - Mostly guessing here based on what was necessary for two models I printed.

Temperature

I started initially printing at 215 and have gone down to 205 and seen slightly reduced stringing for small models.

Cooling

• Layer 1 fan speed 50 - Try not to overly trigger contraction on layer one
  • Layer 2+ fan speed 100 - shrug - it’s been working

G-Code

• I left the default checkboxes filled and that’s working.
  • Update Machine Definition - I took basic specs from the Flux spec sheet and input them here so that I’d get a fairly accurate plate size within S3D so I’d know what would fit and what wouldn’t.

Scripts

• Ending Script - This was in the Flux advanced settings, combined with things that S3D autopopulated.

Other

I slowed everything down. The default settings from S3D were causing the entire printer to shake when it needed to draw narrow fill layers and resulting in gaps. The speeds I set here sound close to the motor speeds from when I printed with the default speed settings in Flux Studio. I might have the infill going a little bit slower but not by much.

Advanced

I set it to start printing height at 0.02mm because I found S3D was getting the nozzle so close to the plate that it was almost scuffing along it (it was creating an impression in a thin layer of glue stick). This tweak resolved that problem .I haven’t tried the results of my tweaks to Ooze Control Behavior yet, but I hope they will help. proceed with caution

Would love to hear feedback from others on what they think, what they’ve done differently, and where I got it wrong!

Nice write up. WAYYYY better than mine.

I’m playing with S3D myself and testing out the outline layers vs. infill necessity. I read somewhere if you increase the outline, you can minimize the infill? something like that.

So, i’m like you, testing out different features but my only real problem is with trail lines. Get too many…print looks good but trails are killing me. Going to use your temperature since i was at the max 230. Changing to 205 for the next few prints.

Thanks.

I haven’t tried it yet, but increasing the retraction distance could help (I, too, am getting trails). My profile has it retracting 1mm. I want to try it at 2, 3, 4, and 5mm but I’m waiting on filament now :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, there’s some great info in here: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

I’m thinking of adding a 0.2mm Retraction Vertical Lift and changing the extrusion multiple from 0.9 to 0.88 as I find with S3D that the print head is sometimes very subtly grazing the layer before it when moving around. Also I may lower the X/Y Axis Movement Speed and Z Axis Movement Speed values a bit (musing 4800 -> 4000 and 1000 -> 800 respectively). I don’t want to go too low as that can contribute to more blobs of filament but I think it is losing precision when it makes very long jumps across the bed for me.

Things to think about…

FLUX Delta - FAQ

I actually asked S3D support for some input. One suggestion you may have missed is to add G29 after G28 in the gcode startup script. This supposedly activates the self leveling feature. I haven’t tested it myself yet, but thought I’d share.

I’m still digging how to transfer Flux settings to S3D. Here is the respond from S3D support
"Thank you for contacting the Simplify3D Support team. I would be glad to provide you this information.

It is easy to set up a custom profile using Simplify3D. Detailed instructions can be found on this page -> Tip of the Day 14 - Setting up your printer with Simplify3D
Instructions to set up the bed size on Delta Printers can be found on this page -> Setting up your Delta Printer

Note: I would recommend having your Printer specifications handy during the set up process"
All your information are big help for Flux community!

Here are my work on trying matching settings between Flux and S3D. Any feedback is great help.
avoid_crossing_perimeters = 0
before_layer_gcode =
bottom_solid_layers = 3
bridge_acceleration = 0
bridge_fan_speed = 100
bridge_flow_ratio = 1
bridge_speed = 60 ;S3D: bridging speed multiplier = 75%
brim_width = 0
complete_objects = 0
cooling = 1
default_acceleration = 0
detect_filament_runout = 1
disable_fan_first_layers = 3 ;S3D: per layer fan control = first 3 layer disable fan
dont_support_bridges = 1
duplicate_distance = 6
end_gcode = G91\nG1 E-20 F300\nM104 S0\nG90\nM84\n
external_fill_pattern = rectilinear
external_perimeter_extrusion_width = 0.4
external_perimeter_speed = 28
external_perimeters_first = 0
extra_perimeters = 1
extruder_clearance_height = 20
extruder_clearance_radius = 20
extrusion_axis = E
extrusion_multiplier = 1 ;S3D = 0.9
extrusion_width = 0.4 ;S3D
fan_always_on = 0
fan_below_layer_time = 99 ;S3D: fan overrides = increase fan speed for layer below = 99 sec
filament_colour = #FFFFFF
filament_diameter = 1.75
fill_angle = 45 ;S3D: infill angle offsets
fill_density = 20 ;S3D: interior fill percentage
fill_pattern = honeycomb ;S3D: internal fill pattern
first_layer_acceleration = 0
first_layer_bed_temperature = 0
first_layer_extrusion_width = 125% ;S3D: first layer width
first_layer_height = 0.25 ;S3D: first layer height = 75%
first_layer_speed = 20 ;S3D: first layer speed = 25%
first_layer_temperature = 230 ;S3D: extruder 1 temperature = layer 1
gap_fill_speed = 20
gcode_arcs = 0
gcode_comments = 0
gcode_flavor = reprap
infill_acceleration = 0
infill_every_layers = 1 ;S3D: print sparse infill every
infill_extruder = 1 ;S3D: infill extruder
infill_extrusion_width = 0.4 ;S3D = 100% (nozzle diameter)
infill_first = 0
infill_only_where_needed = 0
infill_overlap = 30% ;S3D: outline overlap
infill_speed = 60
;S3D: minimum infill length
interface_shells = 0
layer_gcode =
layer_height = 0.15
max_fan_speed = 100 ;S3D: cooling
max_print_speed = 80
max_volumetric_speed = 0
min_print_speed = 3
min_skirt_length = 0
notes =
nozzle_diameter = 0.4
only_retract_when_crossing_perimeters = 1
ooze_prevention = 0
overhangs = 0
perimeter_acceleration = 0
perimeter_extruder = 1
perimeter_extrusion_width = 0.4
perimeter_speed = 40 ; S3D: outline underspeed = 50%
perimeters = 3
post_process =
pressure_advance = 0
raft_layers = 0
resolution = 0.01
retract_before_travel = 2 ;S3D: minimum travel for retraction
retract_layer_change = 0
retract_length = 7 ;S3D: retraction distance
retract_length_toolchange = 10 ;S3D: tool change retraction distance
retract_lift = 0.24 ;S3D: retraction vertical lift
retract_restart_extra = 0 ;S3D: extra restart distance
retract_restart_extra_toolchange = 0 ;S3D: tool change extra restart distance
retract_speed = 70 ;S3D: retraction speed = 4200mm/min
seam_position = aligned
skirt_distance = 5 ;S3D: skirt offset from part
skirt_height = 1 ;S3D: skirt layers
skirts = 4 ;S3D: skirt outlines
slowdown_below_layer_time = 15
small_perimeter_speed = 15
solid_infill_below_area = 1
solid_infill_every_layers = 0
solid_infill_extruder = 1
solid_infill_extrusion_width = 0.4
solid_infill_speed = 20 ;S3D: solid infill underspeed = 25%
spiral_vase = 0
standby_temperature_delta = -5
start_gcode = G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

support_material = 0
support_material_angle = 0
support_material_contact_distance = 0.06
support_material_enforce_layers = 0
support_material_extruder = 1
support_material_extrusion_width = 0.4
support_material_interface_extruder = 1
support_material_interface_layers = 3
support_material_interface_spacing = 0
support_material_interface_speed = 100%
support_material_pattern = rectilinear
support_material_spacing = 2.7
support_material_speed = 40 ;S3D: support structure underspeed = 50%
support_material_threshold = 37
temperature = 215
thin_walls = 1
threads = 4
toolchange_gcode =
top_infill_extrusion_width = 0.27
top_solid_infill_speed = 15
top_solid_layers = 4
travel_speed = 80 ;S3D: default printing speed
use_firmware_retraction = 0
use_relative_e_distances = 0
use_volumetric_e = 0
vibration_limit = 0
wipe = 0
xy_size_compensation = -0.07
z_offset = 0

So basically, you are trying to match S3D settings and use them in the flux, right? If so, have you printed anything? Have you noticed any difference from printing directly from FLUX or using the G-Code from S3D to Flux?

The more people that test different features, the better the FLUX community grows with knowledge.

I have not try it yet until I have learned what are settings. Flux team have been tweaking the parameters to work with their printer and the quality of the print is good that the reason I want to transfer Flux printer settings to S3D. Flux Studio software is still early stage comparing S3D. I think for myself, S3D is right software. I’m still learn the settings. Some of them is easily understand from its tag name. Some are different between S3D and Slic3r. Note that whenever I upload S3D’s G-code from Flux and it asks for converting it into fc extension. Are they add anything onto S3D’s G-code during conversion? If I learn something about it I will post it.

Based on my own experience, it seems that FLUX doesn’t support M83 in gcode.
So "Relative extrusion distances"G-Code Options in S3D must not be check.

I’m getting better fine detail print quality with the changes I mused about in text above. The prints are slower. I’ve gone to 0.3mm retraction and am going to try 0.4 and lower the temperature again to test out stringing behavior some more.

I’ve noticed that when printing from S3D, sometimes the toolhead is not fully shut down at the end of the print and the fan stays running requiring that I power cycle the printer…anyone have any suggestions?

[quote=“laposheureux, post:37, topic:1136”]
I’ve noticed that when printing from S3D
[/quote]How do you connect Flux printer from S3D, via USB? I couldn’t do it.

Go to Scripts tab under FFF settings and type G-code as following:
Starting Script
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
Ending Script
G91
G1 E-20 F300
M104 S0
G90
M84

I just mean gcode from S3D. I’m using the starting and ending script. I haven’t noticed it being weird in the past few prints so I’m not sure what happened before.