3rd Party software? What has been your experience? A Noob's point of View

The Flux Delta is new to the market and so is the program, Flux Studio. There are many 3D machines as well as many 3D Software.

First, the most important part of Third Party software is that its not meant for direct print. For it to work properly, you will need to configure the program to meet the FLUX configurations for print and then export the print to a G-Code that FLUX is able to read.

So far, I have been trying different software in order to either learn more about what 3D printing is all about and most importantly, what capabilities or limitations does Flux Delta’s software have.

I am still testing out some software but the one that has stood out to me, was Simplify3D. Although it’s a paid program, you can still try out the 2 week trial version and see for yourself. What stands out for me is being able to understand all that mumble jumble of “what is a raft”, “what is support”, Do i use a skirt or not? What speed? First Layer, how slow? Should I turn the fan off for the first layer?

All questions that I have had to learn and for which the program was able to allow me to understand better. Since then, I have been have HUGE success in adhesion and printing.

The first layer is the most important layer, next to the Raft. Simplify3D and most other 3rd party programs allows you to control almost every single aspect of your printer. You want the resolution of the print to be the highest? You want a draft print but it still takes hours for it to print?

There are so many questions and extremely hard to find answers that make sense for someone that is just starting out.

So, to sum it up, Simplify3D has been an incredible program to have and it’s my recommendation. There are other 3D programs out there that are just as capable, Meshmixer is good but a high learning curve, CURA is good, but I haven’t had the pleasure to use the G-Code from it to give a recommendation.

For me, Simplify3D has been the software to print from.

This is from customer support of Simplify3D “Thank you for contacting the Simplify3D support team! I would be glad to help you with this. I took a look at their software and information, and it appears that we would be able to work with that printer after a fashion. You can import G-Code in their software, so you would generate g-code files from Simplify3D, then import them to the Flux Studio software and run the print from there.”

What has been your experience? What is your favorite slicer?

If it’s Simplify3D and you need help, download my profile to get you started. It’s set to HIGHEST settings so tweak to your liking.

Simplify 3d, but it appears they have stopped development on the software - which is a bad sign. I wished slicers started getting smarter on the management end, for example, S3d won’t send a print to the printer or to octoprint for progressing and won’t connect remotely for updates. These things are so simple from a software perspective, I have no clue why they are not heading in that direction.

Unfortunately for me, I am unable to test one of the print features (my microusb broke). It does state begin printing over USB, so someone else might have to check that out.

Although send a print directly or even octoprint?? for progressing, is not the point I was trying to make. Of course each software will have its limitations and strengths, I believe that S3D’s capabilities surpass minor problems. I am more concerned about speed and resolution and trying to figure out the sweet spot for the FLUX printer.

Have you used S3D? If not, what software works for you?

How do you know they they have stopped development? They have a blog post from just a few days ago, so the company is still running.

Also, how can you expect 3rd-party software to seamlessly integrate with all 3D printers? The only thing they have in common is that most use USB, but what’s on the other end of that USB can vary greatly. Companies like Simplify3D would have to work pretty closely with 3D printer companies to make everything work. I don’t think there is a universal standard for communicating with 3D printers yet.

Turns out it is a 2 week risk-free return period… not actually a trial…

All I have ever used with my prior 3D printers has been 3rd party software. Most of the RepRap marketplace is based on using these tools.

I have heard REALLY good things about Simplify3D and it is in the queue for me to try with my other printers.

The slicer in FLUX studio is Slic3R which has been my goto Slicer for well over a year. It works very well overall but is
slow than some other ones on the market. I would like to try CURA with the flux but FLUX Studio lacks an easy integration and I have not taken the time to figure out the sending GCode direct to the FLUX process. Specifically, what start/end G-code sequences should be set up.

A lot of the 3rd party software in the 3D printer market place is mature and benefits from a broad user base with lots of feedback, and has a fair amount of documentation available.

Does anyone have feedback on this?

http://printr.com/formide

http://printr.com/katana

Katana looks quiet good, i’m downloading it now and will try to use it for my Reprap printers, instead of Cura.

Doesn’t it need to be used with the Formide? This was a Kickstarter campaign I supported. The hardware (Formide) is being shipped now. I was told by Formide & FLUX that the two would have a software interface that will make 3D printing a breeze.

FYI… I have NOT received my FLUX yet. Here is the original KickStarter campaign.

You ask, we deliver!

Katana updates are finally available for Mac and Windows! Download today or keep reading to learn more about what Katana can do for your 3D printer.

Katana v2.0

This first release of Katana was a major hit with newbies to 3D printing. Users found it remarkably easy to walk through what us of them considered the most tedious stage of the 3D printing experience - slicing.

Katana brought it all down to 4 simple steps: Choose your printer, model, quality and output. Can’t really simplify it anymore can we?

Besides achieving impressive prints, Katana users were especially happy that they could now fully focused on the content, design & applications of their prints instead of their retraction settings!

Most first releases come with a wave of more feature requests, feedback and plenty of room for improvement. We’re happy to hear how we can improve Katana even more, your feedback is always welcome! Read more about Katana here.

What’s new?

Edit custom printer settings

You can now edit the settings of the existing printer profiles or manually input the settings of your printer. Very convenient for the DIY of home-made printers.

New printers added to the list

With over 350+ desktop printer manufacturers out there, we keep growing the list of printers supported by Katana thanks to your input! Katana is preconfigured with 160+ printer settings and 50+ material profiles. Can’t find your printer? Let us know and we’ll find a way!

Manual control fixes

Besides manually moving and homing the printer, it is now also possible to heat the extruder and bed in Katana, which makes it possible to easily exchange the filament.

Support & FAQ integrated

There is no need to go to your inbox or the website anymore to ask a question. Just ask Katana directly via the Support button!
The full experience
With all the new feature-packed FDM 3D printers being announced almost every other day, how can we expect anyone to decide and be 100% satisfied with their decision?

The Element is a streaming device you can connect directly to your current 3D printer via USB. Once connected you can use your life-time Formide account to enjoy the functionality & reliability you expect from next-generation desktop 3D printers.

From monitoring multiple projects while you’re away from your 3D printer, all the way to managing multiple printers regardless of the brand and regardless of your favourite slicer, The Element will act as an upgrade before your next big investment.

Get your Element today or learn more on www.printr.com/the_element

Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Website
Website
Instagram
Instagram
© Printr - The Ultimate 3D Printing Ecosystem

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to our newsletter

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

I just tried Katana and I’m severely disappointed. I couldn’t even properly scale my model. There was nothing to tell me how large I had scaled it, nor a way to proportionally scale the model. It’s already been deleted from my computer.

Now if only I could try Simplify3D without spending $150.

I’ve been curious about this as well. Has it been added to the program yet? I’ll put in a feature request.

Being that you can import the sliced file into Flux Studio, I think we’re fine for now. It definitely isn’t ideal, but I don’t think it’s a big enough problem to report at this point either.

I have been using Simplify3D and haven’t had any complaints with it at all. Everyone has a preference and as a noob in 3D printing, Simplify3D works well for me.

If anybody is interested, I will upload profile information that would mimic the FLUX machine (some what, still tweaking).

Please add me to the list of interested parties. Is there a file resource from which one can download such a profile?

I have uploaded my Simplify3D profile that works with Flux. It is set on the highest resolution settings (.05mm). It includes the end script settings required for the FLUX to finish the job successfully.

Any questions, let me know.

Dropbox Folder for FLUX. Simplify3D profile for the FLUX and a video.

I have a short video of the FLUX in action using the Simplify3D G-Code.

Import G-Code from other slicers

Many thanks. I like S3D because it has all in one slicer package.

Whoever has a MAC, I am able to get Skanect for free…but haven’t tried it since I don’t have a MAC.

Do you care to try the hacked version of mine?